Captain Joe Glass (Gerard Butler) uncovers secret plans for a Russian coup while responding to a distress signal from a U.S. submarine beneath the Arctic Ocean. In an effort to protect world peace, he assembles a group of seasoned Navy SEALs to help rescue the kidnapped Russian President (Alexander Diachenko) before tensions between countries arise. Written by Jamie Moss and Arne Schmidt and directed by Donovan Marsh.~Zach Atreiu Pinpin
Gerard ButlerCaptain Joe Glass
Gary OldmanCJCS Charles Donnegan
CommonRA John Fisk
Linda CardelliniJayne Norquist
Toby StephensBill Beaman
Michael NyqvistCaptain Andropov
Ryan McPartlinMatt Johnstone
Henry GoodmanSenator from Ilinois
Colin StintonSenator from Iowa
Carter MacIntyreXO Brian Edwards
Shane TaylorTMC Turner
David GyasiCob Wallach
Brian KinneyOfficer on the Deck
Taylor John SmithBelford
Cosmo JarvisFathometer Operator
Michael TruccoDevin Hall
Zane HoltzPaul Martinelli
Alexander DiachenkoPresident Zakarin
Ilia VolokCaptain Vlade Sutrev
Hristo MitzkovVolkov Sonarman
Stefan Nikolaev IvanovVolkov Captain
Caroline GoodallPresident Dover
Stuart MilliganSecretary of State
Theo Barklem-BiggsSeaman Mackinnon
Atanas SrebrevRussian Lt. Commander
Nathan CooperMess Crew
Nadia TownsendPentagon Staff
Solomon Taiwo JustifiedPentagon Staff
Lee Asquith-CoeLt. Cmdr Schumacher
Neal H. MoritzProducer
Trevor MorrisComposer (Music Score)
Michael J. DuthieEditor
James SpencerProduction Designer
Jon HensonProduction Designer
Alexey KaraghiaurArt Director
Andrew MunroArt Director
Ben CollinsSupervising Art Director
Gary BaughArt Director
Ivan RanghelovArt Director
Nic PallaceSupervising Art Director
Arne SchmidtExecutive Producer
Avi LernerExecutive Producer
Boaz DavidsonExecutive Producer
Christa CampbellExecutive Producer
Douglas UrbanskiExecutive Producer
Heidi Jo MarkelExecutive Producer
Jeffrey GreensteinExecutive Producer
Ken HalsbandExecutive Producer
Kevin KingExecutive Producer
Lati GrobmanExecutive Producer
Ryan KavanaughExecutive Producer
Trevor ShortExecutive Producer
John MoredockSet Designer
Caroline HarrisCostume Designer
Hristo DimitrovFirst Assistant Director
Vladimir KaloyanovSound Mixer
Alena GaretovskayaCasting Director
Christopher KulikowskiPost Production Supervisor
Dominic GibbsSupervising Sound Editor
Georgi DimitrovStunts Coordinator
Gord HillierRe-Recording Mixer
Ken HalsbandExecutive in Charge of Production
Lonnie RamatiCo-Executive Producer
Lynda ArmstrongHair Designer
Lynda ArmstrongMakeup Designer
Mark TaylorRe-Recording Mixer
Samuel HadidaCo-Executive Producer
Victor HadidaCo-Executive Producer
Action and Adventure
China,United Kingdom,United States
Year of Release
SteelBook, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray, Only @ Best Buy
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray
Hunter Killer [SteelBook] [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray] [Only @ Best Buy] 
A solid watch but dont expect Hunt for Red October
Owned for 1 week when reviewed.
With a solid group of actors including; Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman, Common and Linda Cardellini you get a group that gives you a good show. As with every film there are pros and cons, let take a look at what this film holds.
1. Grade A Special FX, no shadowy to dark, "what was that, where is the submarine" worries here, everything in this film from night and day to above and below water scenes are well filmed, color corrected and appropriately toned. Imagine the first time you saw "The Hunt for Red October" on a 480i SD CRT TV played off a VHS tape...Now imagine the newly remastered UHD 4k Blu Ray Version of "The Hunt for Red October" on a 2160p 4k UHD OLED TV being played off a Sony x1000es UHD Blu Ray Player and you'll get the idea of the detail that went into making this a submarine film with brilliant color and definition.
2. The crew, from Gerard Butler who has brought us films like "The Fallen" series (Olympus Has Fallen, London Has Fallen, Angel Has Fallen) to unique films like "Gods of Egypt", "The Bounty Hunter" and "The Ugly Truth", "Greenland", to some MUST SEE films like "Law Abiding Citizen" and "Den of Thieves" (If you haven't seen those last 2, then go SEE THEM NOW, PPV, NewFlix, or order them from Best Buy Online, they are a pair of must see films.
Moving on actor Common, is anything but, with films like "Wanted" "John Wick 2" & "John Wick 3" and "Now You See Me" as well as a flexible comedic side in films like "Date Night" & "Small Foot" he brings a predictable yet flexible role to the film.
Linda Cardellini brings a lighter more gender driven role to Hunter Killer with films like "Daddy's Home 2", "Avengers Age of Ultron", "Avengers Infinity War" & "Avengers Endgame", "Green Book" and "The Founder" to really balance out the movie making it entertaining for all types.
3. Along with the visual effects the soundtrack and sound FX are very well done and fit the film making it well worth a watch and a good film to have in your collection.
1. The plot is ultimately irrelevant, or more so predictable with some cheesy dialog that often feels forced or obvious, like watching a submarine blow up and then having someone make a comment about "did that submarine just blow up?", but despite this, "Hunter Killer" provides two hours of carefree entertainment.
2. It seems like this should be the second movie in a trilogy with reference to "The Wichita" that could have been the first in a series, and at the end of the film, without spoiling anything, there is definitely room and setup for another film.
3. For as long as the film is, the story seems sluggish at times and frantic at other times, again, leading to my personal feelings that this should have been a 2nd movie in a series of 3.
The bottom line is that submarine movies are to few and not many in between so drop this one into your cart and checkout today, it will give you something different to watch, and those are my final thoughts on "Hunter Killer".
This is a terrific film. It's hard not to like submarine movies IMO. Well cast, excellent Dolby Atmos soundtrack and the 4K looked great. Since I purchased a Samsung 4K UHD HDR TV and Sony 4K Blu-Ray player from Best Buy (connected through our Denon AVR set up for Dolby Atmos) I have been itching to watch a 4K Blu-Ray. This is the first 4K movie I have ever watched and was not disappointed. The audio and video were top notch. I don't purchase that many movies so I would rather rent them first to see if they would be worth multiple viewings. I rent discs through DVD Netflix as they have a vastly superior selection over the streaming app and of course, Blu-ray discs look and sound better than streaming more often than not. In addition, they also have the behind-the-scene extras and gag reels that are informative and fun. The only drawback is of course having to wait for them to come in the mail. I also use Redbox quite often so I can get films right away and they seem to have a decent selection. They are expanding their 4K rentals but they are not in my area as of yet. Looking forward to that for sure.
Another great movie by Gerard Butler . Pretentious movie that packs action and suspense . Great submarine movie since the Hunt for red October which is one of my favorite submarine movie . Highly recommended 4k UHD for stunning visuals for your UHD home theater .
This was a blind buy, and turned out to be really, really good. The PQ/AQ were absolutely fantastic. The 4K was nice and crisp and it had great sound. Definitely worth picking up. The SteelBook looks great also!
I would recommend this to a friend
Rating 5 out of 5 stars with 1 review
This Movie it’s really Good and it’s 4K Crisp with Great Soundtrack.
I would recommend this to a friend
Rating 4 out of 5 stars with 1 review
A sub story without the tension
Owned for 1 month when reviewed.
Reasonable submarine flick. It's no "Hunt for Red October", but it was certainly entertaining.
The script wasn't bad, but it could have been better.
The CG is well done, but it's still CG.
The acting is competent, but not Academy Award material.
If you're just looking to snuggle up on the couch with some popcorn and kill a couple hours, it will do nicely.
If it were a car, it would be a Camry - not a Porsche. It'll get you there reliably and comfortably, and might even be fun to drive. But it's not likely to get your pulse rate up very high.
4 out of 5. Good, but not great. That pretty much sums it up.
I am a retired Naval Commander, and I really enjoyed the detail and realism in this movie. I watched the movie in 4K format then watched it again with the director comments active, and it's obvious the cast and crew worked very hard to include believably and drama in this story. It's a fiction not a documentary but I found it an entertaining story that didn't have any flat spots for me.
Really enjoyed this movie! It made it to the top shelf of my Blu Ray rack. Great military intrigue movie. Lot of moving pieces that come together (Submarine, Seal Team, Military Leadership) to give you a good view of the whole adventure. Lots of action and lots of suspense! Probably also my favorite Gerard Butler movie. Good supporting cast as well - even if Gary Oldman's character is a bit cookie cutter for such a brilliant actor. If you like naval or military/war movies, you should take a look into this one!