Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $1,199.99
The regular price is $1,499.99
- Answer Power up from the machine turned off. Hit F2 until you are in the bios screen. Hit F7 Hit Advanced Click on Animation Post Logo Configuration Disable the Animation Post Logo Audio
QuestionHi, I would like to know how the cooling system works under stress, compared to its two brothers which have the raised underneath called AAS. Is there any noticeable deviation of thermal performance among these models?
- Answer It depends on what you play. With Rocket League on 120 FPS and max settings, I was getting mid-70s temperatures. That was with undervolting. Otherwise, I'd get mid-80s and even a bit higher. Check out the Intel XTU tool for undervolting, and read some guides on how to do it. It's perfectly harmless. It lowered my temperatures as much as 15 degrees in some games. Usually, I'd get maybe 10 degrees savings, though. I think it helps that this model has only a GTX 1060. It doesn't run as hot as the 1070 or 1080. The full Zephyrus M does not have a Max-Q 1070, so it will run hotter. Also, this model does not come stock with an NVMe SDD. It is M.2 SATA. NVMe runs significantly hotter due to its high speeds. It's actually a good thing ASUS only provided an M.2 SATA, as an NVMe really needs a dedicated fan to not overheat things. I know that people with last year's full Zephyrus model were reporting battery bulging and meltdowns due to the NVMe SSD being right next to the battery. In this model, it is the HDD that is next to the battery, and the M.2 SATA SSD has some space away from the battery. That is a very, very good thing. If you choose to replace your M.2 SATA SSD for more storage, I highly recommend you stick with M.2 SATA instead of going NVMe. Unless you do video editing, you aren't going to notice much of a performance gain anyway. You will, however, keep your laptop cooler with the M.2 SATA. And, you might just prevent a battery bulge/meltdown.
Questionhas anyone else had issues with the microphone? im in a skype call and the other side cant hear me at all, she can only hear static and gurgles. ive toyed around with a few of the settings of both computer and skype but im not sure where else to go
- Answer Yes i have had issues with the mic. this is what i did to fix it. First i typed "set up a microphone" into the start and than did that. That fixed the mic for about a day, before it started acting up again. This was a permanent fix for me- go to device manager, open "sound, video and game controllers" right click the realtek HD audio drivers>update drivers>browse my computer for drivers> let me pick from available> and than choose the generic windows High definition drivers (the one other than the realtek drivers). install those and restart and your mic should be workign
Questioni intended to buy a dell g7 laptop (Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Licorice Black) for $ 1,199.00, which has almost the same specs as this one. Which one would you recommend?
- Answer The dell only has a 60hz screen, this one has a 120hz screen. The asus is also wayyy slimmer and the metal finish around the entire case looks so much better.
QuestionMine did not come with the "VR ready" sticker . Also, when i tried steam VR permance test. it only shows the intel integrated card. i have updated the 1060 driver, prompted nvidia control to use 1060 graphics. Does this really not support VR? im new to VR
- Answer Make sure your laptop is plugged in while trying all these tests. The laptop will not have enough power to power the nvidia card if not plugged in. Mine as well does not have the VR ready sticker but it can indeed do VR I assure you.
QuestionI am torn between this one and the MSI gs63 available for $1600. Would love to hear a few opinions as to which one to get. I looked on the asus website and cant find the exact model since its only at best buy, where would I get driver updates for it?
- Answer I returned 3 msi 63. All 3 were due to graphics. Green screen on videos and framerates below 30 fps. Even after calling tech support and even geek squad couldnt figure it out. But 100% happy with the ROG
QuestionIs the OS on the SSD or the HDD? I'd like to swap out the HDD for a 1TB SSD if possible without reinstalling the OSS.
- Answer The OS is installed on the SSD.
QuestionHi, I am confused between this & MSI GS63. I heard MSI's Color accuracy and color gamut score is quiet good. How does this laptop fair when it comes to those scores? I am a motion graphics guy, so which one should I go for? Any suggestions?
- Answer Hi tested the both machines at the store. I ended up with Asus. The build quality: Asus, Screen: Asus, Weight: MS63, Keyboard: MS63, Design: Asus
QuestionQuestions about asus GU501: 1.What's the refresh rate of this display?120hz or 60hz? 2.Can I upgrade its ssd to an m.2 nvme ssd? 3.What's the difference between GU501 and GM501?(By difference I mean different appearance, not inside specs) Thanks!
- Answer The panel is a 120Hz panel, but it does not have GSYNC. The laptop comes with an M.2 SATA SSD, but can be upgraded to a M.2 NVME SSD. The GM501 has a 144Hz panel with GSYNC, a GeForce 1070, and ASUS' cool "active aero" cooling system. It also comes with an NVME drive standard vs the M.2 SATA in the GU501, and that NVME drive is double the size (256GB vs 128GB). In terms of performance, the GM501 is better than the GU501 in a lot of ways, but it's also quite a lot more expensive.
QuestionWhat's the difference between this laptop and the new msi gs63 with the 8th gen Intel, besides price difference which is 100 dollars. And which would you consider the best out of the two.
- Answer The biggest difference for me was the mouse track. It felt very clunky and hard to find the right-click on the MSI. The ASUS trackpad design is much better and easier to differentiate the different clicks. I'd also say though that the ASUS is much louder with the fans kicking on faster than the MSI.
QuestionCan someone who owns the laptop and can open the panel tell me the brand of the ram inside so I can order it along side the laptop. I see its a single stick of 2666 16gb. Who makes it? Thanks in advance.
- Answer My model has 1 stick of SK Hynix HMA82GS56CJR8N. Although a google search doesn't come up with much. In my experience as long as the sticks are rated for the same speed then any will work.
- Answer I don't see why not. I was able to run Far Cry 5 at Ultra settings without an issue.
QuestionIs the Thunderbolt 3 port connected to the NVIDIA GPU, which would allow you to use an external G-Sync monitor with an appropriate USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter?
- Answer I have not used it. However, from what I have read, it does have 4 threads to the NVIDA. The issue is, this model does not have G-Sync, hence the 120hz on board monitor. Will it support the G-Sync monitors, I can not tell you. For the price, this is a very good deal, minus the 128 PCIe SSD. I have read several people complain about the fans being very noisy. If you are using a graphic intensive program or game, this is going to get warm and the fans are going to spin up. It's a gamer, they all do that. As far as mine goes, I have not had that issue with this one. Battery life is 3-4.5 hours surfing the internet. less than 2 watching videos. I highly recommend this machine.
- Answer Yes, It is real simple. You have to remove the bottom cover of the laptop, there are something like 12 or 13 T5 screws you have to remove. Once removed the RAM is easy to access. Nice thing about the ASUS is it comes installed with one 16gb ram stick and has an empty slot ready to accept another 16gb of RAM.
- Answer I believe it is 120 refresh rate, this is one of the reasons I bought it.. I bought this because I wanted a very fast computer --I am so pleased, it is fast! I wanted high specs for things that can't be upgraded. 120 is not the highest Hz display available, it is plenty good enouugh, and affordsble, especially on sale. Many displays are only 60 Hz display - I bought an Asus with only 60 refresh rate, I returned it.
QuestionAre there any heating issues with this laptop ...while gaming or content creation..considering that it is a slim laptop??
- Answer I haven’t had any heating issues while playing World of Warcraft for several hours or any type of surfing or other games. I also watch a variety of uTube videos on various subjects. I’ve been very pleased with this laptop so far and am very happy I purchased it.
QuestionI just got Asus Gu501GM yesterday . This machine has i7 8750H gtx 1060 that very good in gaming . But I dont know why when I’m gaming ,the fps is not good . It seems like this laptop is weaker than any other laptop with same spec even dell g7 gtx1060 maxq
- Answer You need to be plugged in to use the more powerful graphics discrete card (1060), unplugged you're using the basic intel hd graphics. If you already are plugged in and suffering frames then it must be thermal throttling. Your laptop is hitting the safe max thermal limits slowing down the CPU and/or GPU to ensure it does not go over that threshold. Many gaming laptops are plagued by this issue. It can slightly help if you run fans @max and get a cooling pad. Some have gone to the extreme and changed the thermal paste of the cpu/gpu to liquid metal and even going as far as seriously mods such as cutting out the chassis to make vents for cooling on their laptops. Another way to bypass this is modding you vbios and settings a higher thermal limit. If you consider doing any of these please do your research and at your own discretion. Also to note, despite having a desktop gpu 1060, it is slightly under-clocked the most average actual desktop versions.
QuestionI just bought this laptop but it says it only has 119GB hard drive space. I thought it was 1TB and how to access the other space.
- Answer There should be 2 hard drives included in the system. Data D: is the one with the terabyte.