Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $1,199.98
QuestionCan a longer off-the-shelf optical cable replace the short optical cable that comes with the sound bar?
- Answer Absolutely, that was the first thing I did when I got it cause it wouldn't reach my computer! Works wonderfully!
QuestionIf I also purchase the subwoofer and Flex speakers does this function as a full discrete 5.1 system? If so, can 4 flex's be added for 7.1? What types of encoding does this handle (DTS etc)?
- Answer You can pair Formation Bar with Formation Bass and a maximum of 2 Flex for a 5.1 configuration. The system only handles Dolby Digital which is the most common streaming codec for multi-channel.
QuestionWhy doesn’t this bar have HDMI ARC? If someone can explain why It’s optical only that would be appreciated.
- Answer Because B&W thinks it’s 2003. This bar sucks, please don’t buy it. Or buy mine used for 4 months.
- Answer The Formation Bar attaches to your TV with an optical connection. If you use an Apple TV, you can also use Airplay.
- Answer Formation products use your existing WiFi (whether it be Eero or another manufacturer) to establish a connection to the outside world so you can enjoy your favorite streaming services and control the product. This connection is 2.4G, which is included with all wifi products such as Eero. Once you have that connection, Formation relies on its own mesh network to communicate with other Formation products if you own them.
QuestionI have a Marantz AV receiver as well as 1 center and 1 L/R channel speaker each for a total of 3. Can I connect this bar to the AV receiver? If yes then how do the AV receiver and this soundbar connect? My plan is to replace center channel by this bar.
- Answer If you have an rca center output you can possibly run this to a DAC with rca in and Toslink optical out. No guarantee this will work or sound good but look up musou rca analog to digital optical Converter. Even if that does work I would be concerned with the timing and general sound quality. If you’re looking to save space I would recommend a passive Soundbar instead
QuestionHow difficult or simple is it to install the B&W transformation sound bar, sub, and streaming unit? Or do I need a professional to install?
- Answer Hi Dave- If you have a smart phone running iOS or Android and a 2.4Ghz wireless network in your home the process is very simple and you do not need a professional installation. Support is available if you have further questions.
QuestionIf I purchase the sound bar, bass, and streaming media can I add I a turntable without a pre-amp?
- Answer Hi Dave, A turntable can be attached to Formation Audio and that can then be shared with Formation Bar/Bass. Penciling this scenario out a bit further, you could later purchase a Formation Wedge and then listen to your turntable on the Wedge as well as the Bar/Bass at the same time with whatever volume setting you like.
QuestionI have a Marantz SR5009 Receiver and (2) B&W front speakers currently. (wired) and a sub. Can I add this sound bar and the formation flex speakers to this receiver wirelessly to create a 5:1? Would they be compatible with the receiver?
- Answer Formation Flex would not function as surround channels in this configuration.
QuestionIf I purchase the soundbar, does it require the formation speakers and or the sub woofer? Can I just purchase the soundbar? Thank you.
- Answer Hi Dan, you can absolutely purchase the sound bar on its own.