Questions & Answers
QuestionIf you plug an extension cord into smart plug, can alexa control all that is connected?? For instance, cd player, dvr, and tv.
- Answer If you only want to shut the power off and on to all of these devices at the same time then yes. If you want to control the functions of those devices then no.
QuestionDo you need a hub for Alexa to control this plug or will it work directly with Echo Just by itself and nothing else?
- Answer No hub is necessary for this to work with Alexa. You need to enable the Wemo skill under the Alexa app and once you have installed this Wemo WiFi plug, you have to discover in your Alexa app. Then it should work flawlessly.
QuestionCan I use this to turn my tv on and off when I am not at home(same WiFi network)? I was able to use the chromecast to turn my tv on and off but it only works if Im at home and connected to the same WiFi network as the chromecast.
- Answer Hello. Yes, you can control the connected device through the local and remote network. However, please note that devices with a digital interface such as televisions may not turn ON when the Wemo plug’s power is resumed and instead would go into standby mode.
- Answer Doesn’t get hot enough for me.
QuestionWill this plug work with a power strip? Can I plug the power strip into the smart plug? How about putting the plug into one of the power strip outlets?
- Answer I’ve been using one plugged into a power strip for about 67 months now I don’t see why it wouldn’t work if you plug the power strip into the Wemo plug adapter at the shouldn’t make any difference unless you have a way to much plugged into the power strip I would think
- Answer Works with Google Assistant. No hub required.
QuestionCan you put a three plug adapter in it and have one wemo control three separate devices or say a power strip even? Thought about getting this for when I’m away and thought if it turned on a lamp and the radio so that appears I’m home.
- Answer These devices are basically just an on/off switch for anything plugged into jt. So anything you plug in (ie: power strips with devices plugged in) will be all or nothing. You will not be able to control tje power for each device separately. You'll have to buy one smart plug for each device to control them separately.
QuestionCan I buy three of them for separate rooms and controll them on only one wemo app at the same time
- Answer yes you are able to control multiple units from the app. You are able to name each unit a different name.
QuestionWhat does it mean by Wi-Fi is it only for wireless use from whatever is plugged into it in the app or will it turn my non Smart TV into a smart TV with the Wi-Fi just wondering
- Answer It will turn on any device that can be left in an "on" state by the device's power switch, whether it has power going to it or not. For example, a lamp or desk fan. I haven't tried it on a TV yet, but I'd venture to guess that the TV would still have to be in an "on" state, even without any power. Basically, the device turns the power supply on and off (think of it as a light switch). You'd probably have to test it on your TV to find out if it would work. But it doesn't connect to the TV via WiFi or act as a smart device to interact with the TV. The WiFi allows you to control it via the free app you can install on your smartphone, or via a supported device and app, such as Amazon Tap, Echo, Dot with the Alexa app.
QuestionIt works in Asian countries where 220-240V AC electricity exists? Though it is marked as a 120V product, many items like laptops work at 220v too.
- Answer I have them working on 220v for more than a year. No issues so far.
- Answer Hi. Other than the design, the Wemo Insight Switch has a Power Usage monitor to calculate your the electrical usage of the connected device.
QuestionDo these monitor your electricity usage in the app? I would like to see how much electricity is used in different parts of my home(by certain electronics).
- Answer Hi. No, we recommend that you consider our Wemo Insight instead which does allows you to monitor the energy cost of the device plugged-in to it.
QuestionAm I able to set up a schedule? I would like to run a small personal heater for my bedroom, but would only want the heater to be on for about 10 minutes of every hour or so. Am I able to set a routine of being on for 10 minutes per hour, every hour?
- Answer You can use the WeMo app for your iOS or Android device to set schedules. There are two functions, Schedule and Auto-off Timer, that you can work in tangent with each other to create the routine.
- Answer Hi, Ron. You can plug any equipment on our Wemo Mini Smart plug as long as the electrical rating is meet: 120V~/15A/60Hz/1800W; Indoor Use: Designed for residential indoor dry location use only.
- Answer Not sure what you are really asking as there is no such thing as a "Google Echo Dot Assistant". With that being said, per the "Specifications" on the product listing, this plug works with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant and SmartThings. I use it with Google Assistant, and it works great.
QuestionCan this continue to follow a schedule if it's not connected to wifi? In other words, if you initially setup a schedule with it connected to wifi, but then move it to a location with no wifi, will the plug still follow the preset schedule?
- Answer Yes, Franklin. The rules are stored on the Wemo device which allow them to function even without being connected to a router.