Trade In FAQs
The Best Buy Trade-In Program offers a convenient way for you to bring used electronics to trade in for Best Buy gift cards. You must be 18 years old or older (except in AL or NE, 19 or older) to take advantage of the program. The Trade-In Program is not available at all locations; check BestBuy.com/TradeIn to find the nearest participating store.
Most stores participate in the program. The stores that currently do not participate in the program are:
- 801 Tenleytown
- 1092 Columbia Heights
- 519 Douglasville
- 495 Baton Rouge
- 1157 Millerville
- 1126 South Bay
- 458 S. Setauket
- 824 Patchogue
- 200 Commack
- 345 Huntington Station
- 442 Bay Shore
- 809 Riverhead
- 454 Westbury
- 467 Levittown
- 950 Valley Stream
- 1467 Baldwin
- 1090 Rio Hondo
- 1118 Hato Rey
- 1496 Plaza Carolina
Check BestBuy.com/TradeIn for current offerings. We're constantly evaluating categories where we can offer consumers a great value for electronics they no longer use. We also offer responsible recycling for these and most other electronic products. For more information on our Recycling Program, see BestBuy.com/Recycle.
The age, condition, and accessories included will affect the trade-in value of your items. Use our estimator at BestBuy.com/TradeIn to get an estimate for what your item may be worth. Best Buy will evaluate your device and provide a competitive offer based on several factors, including age, condition, included accessories and current resale prices.
Our employees grade the condition and perform a functionality check. At a minimum, in order for us to accept a device it must turn on and function as a user would normally expect. There can’t be missing power supplies, and a battery powered device must run on its own battery. We assign a condition grade based upon our inspection:
GOOD. The device is fully functional with no technical problems and has no scratches, dents or dings. Shows signs of normal use.
FAIR. The device is fully functional with no technical problems, and only a few scratches due to normal use. If the device has a screen, there are no scratches or burned-out pixels. Moderate physical damage and fully functional.
BROKEN. Significant physical damage or does not function properly.
NOT ACCEPTED. There is an issue with the device so that the device is not eligible for trade-in, including but not limited to the following:
- It has functional damage or product failure that affects its ability to perform its function or impairs its use;
- It has been recalled or withdrawn from sale;
- It has water damage or damage from other fluids;
- It shows indications of a serial number modification or tampering;
- It has insect/rodent infestation/damage;
- The factory seal has been broken;
- A password has not been cleared;
- The device is still attached to an active account (mobile phones only);
- The "Find My Device" function has not been disabled.
RECYCLE. Eligible device does not have any monetary value but will be collected and sent to a recycling partner that complies with the highest industry standards regarding the reuse, refurbishment or recycling of products as well as waste disposal generated from the recycling process.
If the device is not accepted for trade-in, we can responsibly recycle it. To learn more about our Recycling Program, see BestBuy.com/Recycle.
For Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices that use iOS 7 and above, you must disable the "Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod" function before the start of the trade-in transaction.
How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone/iPad/iPod":
- Tap on your "Settings" icon and go to the "iCloud" section.
- If "Find My iPhone" is turned on, tap the slider to turn it off.
- Enter your Apple ID password and tap "Turn Off."
- Verify that "Find My iPhone" has been turned off.
For Android 5.0 or newer, you must reset device to factory settings before the start of the trade-in transaction.
- Make sure the device is connected to the Internet or to the mobile network.
- Open the Google Settings menu.
- Under "Personal," touch "Backup and reset." You may need to enter your pattern, PIN, or password.
- Under "Personal Data," touch "Factory data reset."
- Read the information on the screen and touch "Reset phone."
- If the screen is locked, you will need to enter your pattern, PIN, or password.
- When prompted, touch "Erase everything" to erase all data from your device's internal storage.
- When the device has finished erasing, select the option to reboot your device.
Please include any manuals, remote controls, power supplies, other accessories and packaging that came with the product. To the extent these are missing, this will impact the trade-in value offered. You are responsible for removing any data from your device before providing the product to us. Under no circumstances will Best Buy be liable for any loss of any data or media from products provided to us for trade in or recycling. For help on removing your personal data and wiping your hard drive clean, see this video from Geek Squad®.
Please also note that to be accepted for trade-in, your item must have a visible serial number. It should not be removed, scratched off or manipulated in any way.
Your device may be:
- Sold by Best Buy Secondary Markets channels or other Best Buy resale outlets (resale);
- Sent to Geek Squad® Service Centers (for parts and refurbished devices sold via the Best Buy outlets online); or
- Responsibly disposed of via our Recycling Program. See BestBuy.com/Recycle for details
Best Buy stores offer the Trade-In Program subject to local restrictions and requirements. Based upon such conditions we are not able to provide our Trade-In Program in all store locations.
If there isn't a participating Best Buy Trade-In location near you, we may accept your trade in online. Simply go to BestBuy.com/TradeIn, see if your item is eligible for trade-in, and then get an estimate for what your item may be worth. We'll cover the costs for you to ship it to us and then, if we accept your item for trade-in, we'll send you an electronic Best Buy gift card for the value of your item.
Our in-store Trade-In Program is intended for the convenience of our retail customers and is not designed to handle large volume or commercial transactions.
Customers are limited to no more than three (3) of the same product per day, except as noted below.* Customers interested in trading units in excess of this limit should contact Customer Service at email@example.com for a custom quote.
Limit three (3) copies of the same title and platform in a 12-month period. For example, three (3) copies of Madden for Xbox or Playstation.
Limit five (5) cell phones of the same model in a 12-month period.
All other products
Limit three (3) items of the same model in a 12-month period.
*We reserve the right to refuse any trade-in or limit quantities for any reason. These product limits are subject to change at any time. Please note that there may be additional product limits associated with promotions.
Please contact us using our Trade-In Customer Service contact form, as our in-store program is for the personal, non-commercial use of our retail customers.
In some Best Buy locations, due to local requirements, we can only accept trade-in of items for which you have a valid Best Buy receipt.
If you don’t have a receipt and still want to get rid of your old product, we can help you recycle it. Learn more about Best Buy recycling
No. While we welcome and value feedback from our customers, our trade-in values are fixed at the time of our evaluation based on the type of product traded in, its market value, and its condition.
- Go to BestBuy.com/TradeIn.
- See if your item is eligible for trade-in.
- Get an estimate for what your device may be worth.
- Find a participating Best Buy location near you or complete your trade-in online.
- Check to see if your item is eligible for trade-in and what it may be worth, then find participating Best Buy locations near you at BestBuy.com/TradeIn.
- Bring your eligible electronics, any included accessories, and a valid U.S. state driver's license or state-issued photo identification card to a participating Best Buy store.
Do not mail trade-in items to a Best Buy store. We can’t accept items mailed to our stores.
- We'll grade your product's condition and verify its functionality.
- Based on these factors and the current resale values, we'll determine how much we will offer you for your device.
- If you accept, we require you to present a valid U.S. state driver's license or state-issued photo identification card, sign a statement of ownership, and agree to the terms and conditions. There may be additional personal information required to complete the transaction based on the jurisdiction's secondhand dealer laws. For more details, please speak with a Blue Shirt.
- We'll then give you a Best Buy gift card for the value of your device. You can use the gift card toward purchasing any item sold in store or online.
If your item has no trade-in value, we can help you recycle it. Learn more about Best Buy recycling
- Go to the Best Buy website BestBuy.com/TradeIn and select the product you want to trade in. Answer a few questions about your item and we'll give you an estimate of the trade-in value of your item..
- If you agree with the estimate, create an account and then print out a free UPS shipping label. Drop off your item at a UPS store or call UPS to arrange for a home pickup. Your item must be received within 14 days of the estimate or Best Buy has the right to revise or withdraw the estimate for trade-in or credit value. Any promotional offers may no longer be valid, depending on the terms of the promotional offer, if the item is received later than 14 days from the date of the estimate. If you experience technical difficulties, contact our customer support using our Trade-In Customer Service contact form.
- We'll grade your product's condition and verify its functionality.
- We'll evaluate your item, confirm the final offer with you via e-mail, then e-mail an electronic Best Buy gift card to you within seven to nine days after receipt of your item.
If you drop off your item with a shipping carrier such as UPS, please keep a drop-off receipt for your records.
- Please avoid using a shipping carrier’s drop box location(s) as you won't get a shipping receipt.
- Include any documentation and accessories that originally shipped with your item. These items may include warranty cards, keyboards, mice and connection cables. Failure to include normally included items or accessories will impact the value of your trade.
- Do not include any CRT monitors. These can be recycled at your local Best Buy store.
Please follow these shipping tips:
- Wrap the items using plenty of bubble wrap, foam packaging, or other packing supplies around fragile items. Include all components of the system for return.
- Package the system in a sturdy cardboard box designed specifically for shipping.
- Tape all edges on the sides, top and bottom to make sure there are no rough edges that could be snagged by automated mail processing equipment. We do not recommend using masking or cellophane tape.
- Attach the shipping label to the outside of the package. Use a piece of clear shipping tape over the top of the label.
- Call UPS or drop off the package at a UPS shipping location. Be sure to keep the tracking number for proof of return. You may also ship at your own expense using the carrier of your choice as long as they can provide you with a Shipment Tracking Number and proof of delivery.
- Your item must be received within 14 days of the estimate or Best Buy has the right to revise or withdraw the estimate for the trade-in or credit value. Any promotional offers may no longer be valid, depending on the terms of the promotional offer, if the item is received later than 14 days from the date of the estimate. If you experience technical difficulties, contact our customer support using our Trade-In Customer Service contact form.
You are responsible for removing any data from your item before providing the product to us. Under no circumstances will Best Buy be liable for any loss of any data or media from products delivered to us for trade-in or recycling. For help on removing your personal data and wiping your hard drive clean, learn more from Geek Squad®.
You are responsible for disabling the lock on devices with iOS 7.0 and above or Android 5.0 or newer before the start of the trade-in transaction.
You can log in to the Trade-In Center and select My Account at any time to see the status of your trade-in.
You will receive an e-mail explaining why a different value was assigned. You have the choice of accepting the updated quote, or having the item returned to you at your cost.
If the transaction is not yet completed, and a gift card has not yet been issued, the item can be returned if you pay the return shipping costs.
- Create an account and then print out a prepaid UPS shipping label.
- Your item will be shipped directly to our recycling partner, where the item will go through a reclamation process. Then, our authorized recycling partner will responsibly recycle your item.
Trading in at participating Best Buy store locations allows you to instantly get a Best Buy gift card once your trade-in has been accepted. You'll have to ship us your items — but we'll cover the cost. We'll then e-mail you an electronic Best Buy gift card within seven to nine days of receipt of your item if we accept your item for trade-in.
In some locations, the Best Buy Trade-In Program is subject to state and local secondhand dealer laws, which regulate the buying of used personal property. Many of these laws require businesses to collect information about the seller and the purchased product, and report it to law enforcement in an effort to reduce crime and recover stolen property. In some locations, to comply with applicable law, the personal information collected may include:
- Copy of your ID
- Second form of ID
- Photograph of you
From time to time, Best Buy runs special promotions to work in conjunction with our Trade-In Program. These promotions are usually available for a limited time and only apply to specific products. Due to the nature of these promotional offers, your trade-in device may not be eligible for these offers. Please refer to the offer details. If you still have questions about your product’s trade-in value, please speak with a store associate.