Ratings & Reviews
- 1080p HD resolution provides dazzling, unparalleled picture quality.
- Lossless audio delivers the purest digital sound available.
- Smart menu techonology floats on-screen during playback so you never leave the film.
- Commentary by director Tim Burton
- Theatrical trailers in high definition
This big budget "re-imagining" of the 1968 original departs somewhat from both that classic science fiction film and the source novel by author Pierre Boulle. Mark Wahlberg stars as Leo Davidson, an astronaut of the early 21st century whose unauthorized mission to rescue a chimp companion from a mysterious space storm goes awry when he and his ship are lost through a rip in the fabric of time. Leo crash-lands on a planet where intelligent, talking apes are the dominant species and humans a conquered slave class. Befriending both a chimpanzee activist named Ari (Helena Bonham Carter), who's sympathetic to humans, and a beautiful human rebel, Daena (Estella Warren), Leo quickly becomes a prominent figure of resistance to his fellow humans. This makes him an instant source of irritation for the militant and ambitious General Thade (Tim Roth) and his trusted adjutant, Attar (Michael Clarke Duncan), who intend to hunt Leo down and crush the burgeoning human uprising. War looms between ape and human as Leo and his band head for a sacred site deep in an off-limits desert, where secrets about the planet's ape and human ancestry wait to be revealed. Planet of the Apes is directed by Tim Burton and features the original film's star, Charlton Heston, in a cameo role as the dying father of Thade. ~ Karl Williams, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Mark Wahlberg - Leo Davidson
- Tim Roth - Thade
- Helena Bonham Carter - Ari
- Michael Clarke Duncan - Attar
- Kris Kristofferson - Karubi