Questions & Answers
- QuestionDoes it run Android apps? (5 Answers)Answers
It currently runs Android apps in the beta preview, which you can access buy going the to "about" section of your Chromebook (At the top of the settings menu). That being said, it will likely be in the stable channel in the next month of two if you want to wait (It may be there now if you're reading this in 2017). It should be noted that without GPS or an accelerometer, some apps may be unstable or not run at all. Also, some apps, as is true for all Android tablets, only run in portrait mode, so son't expect to be able to use the Keyboard and snapchat at once. There are TONs of positives too however, and I wouldn't let these small inconveniences be the deciding factor in your purchase decision. For an FYI, the Asus Chromebook flip is a smaller chromebook, but is among the first that will get Android Apps in the stable channel, as announced by Google and has comparable specs for RAM and storage to this model.
I Would Recommend:
- QuestionThis states it has 8GB RAM, but I have only seen this spoken of with a set 4GB nonupgradable RAM on all other sites and reviews. Can you confirm that this really offers a 8GB RAM 64GB storage model? Thank you (2 Answers)Answers
It only has 4GB RAM. The product description has now been updated to reflect this. Originally the product description on BestBuy was wrong. When I bought it on 10/21 from one of the local BestBuys (somehow one location had it in stock a week before all the others in town), the description of the product online was incorrect, showing 8GB. I still bought it because some quick searching on Acer's website showed that they weren't going to offer this with 8GB at all anyway.
- QuestionHow does this work in streaming videos via Netflix, Amazon, etc? I would like to use it to watch movies and TV shows. (5 Answers)Answers
It is good. The picture seems to have to stabilize or something before you get a decent picture, but then it is fine. That is the reason I purchased this one (streaming). It isn't going to be top of the line but it is a greet value! If you want HD quality then this is not for you. If you are OK with "good" then you will be fine. I haven't hooked it to a television. That might help.
- QuestionDoes this chromebook auto update the software system that comes with it to the latest one? Does it download apps? Like something similar to Windows. What is the latest version of chromebook? Where can I get the latest / more info from? (2 Answers)Answers
Good questions. Yes, this Chromebook, like basically all Chromebooks, auto updates. One of the very nice features of Chromebooks (to me) is that the update process is crazy fast -- basically just a reboot, and in seconds you are back to work/play. You can download apps from the Chrome Store; there is a ton of stuff there but if there are particular apps you are interested in you might check to see what is there. The Acer R13 is one of a small crop of the "latest" Chromebooks (and quite a nice one, I think). It gives you the ability to download and run android apps (the same that you would on an android phone) which expands the capability of a Chromebook. When I research a computer purchase, I look at customer reviews here and on Amazon (real world usage is very valuable; I tend to disregard reviews, however, that are clearly grumpy or unrealistic); then I turn to Google, and type something like "Acer R13 Chromebook reviews" and browse through the results. These will generally offer you different tech websites with their reviews of products, which can be helpful. Good luck!
- QuestionAre the Android apps still accessed through beta vs. stable channel? And if I run on beta channel all the time, does that cause any slowdowns or problems? Sorry for my cluelessness, I've never had a Chromebook but interested in quick startup vs. Windows (1 Answer)Answers
- QuestionIs the keyboard backlit? (7 Answers)
- Questionwill I be able to use Microsoft office? I am a college student and I need the basic must-haves (Word, Excel, PP) would this be considered good for easy, on the go studying, having multiple windows open at once? please let me know :) (2 Answers)Answers
- QuestionFor how long is the warranty? (1 Answer)Answers
- Questionif there's something to type on the screen in tablet configuration, do you have the capability to type? So does a keyboard pop up like on a phone's flat screen? Thanks (3 Answers)
- QuestionI am needing a very basic laptop for college. Would this work to run Microsoft Office programs (excel, powerpoint, and word)? Would I be able to browse the internet (7-10 tabs) and listen to Spotify? (4 Answers)Answers
Best Buy is not responsible for answers provided by Community Answers, Customers, or other third parties. Accuracy not guaranteed. Terms and Conditions