Questions & Answers
- Answer No, since smart lock mounts from the inside you can simply open the door with key as usual. From the inside the smartlock serves as a lock lever (thats even easier to use from my perspective). If the battery dies youll simply use the door as you would before you had installed it.
Questionwith the August Home Kit Blue tooth deadbolt do you have to purchase August - Connect AC-R1 Adapter for August Smart Lock in order to be able to lock & unlock remotely?
- Answer Not exactly. If you have a 4th generation Apple TV the August lock will connect to your wifi network through it. You can then control remotely through third party home kit apps (but not August's app). "Devices" and "MyTouchHome" are both apps that will let you control the lock remotely and are available in the App Store. You are also able to use Siri on your apple device (iPhone, iPad, and apple watch all work for me) remotely through the Apple TV. Set up is easy, the app walks you through connecting to home kit and it only takes a minute. Without a 4th generation apple tv the lock does require either the Connect Adapter or the August Doorbell Cam for remote use. If you are considering a doorbell cam you do not need the connect as it will act as the wifi bridge.
Questionwhat are the differences between the homekit (SKU: 4640900) and the regular smart lock (SKU: 4271143)?
- Answer HomeKit works with Siri. "Siri lock the door". And it's more stable. The original one has pretty bad reviews, the HomeKit enabled one has a ton of bug fixes.
QuestionWhat are the differences between Gen 2, Gen 3, and the Retrofit version? This seems to be very difficult information to get. Best Buy needs to step forward and clarify this.
- Answer This model is Gen 2 and this model has not door sensor. Gen 3 model is same price but Best Buy don't have gen 3 only version. They have Gen 3 with wifi point set model only. If you have iPhone and Apple TV (4th gen) or leave your iPad home, you could use HomeKit so you don't need to buy wifi point. But if you want this function with non apple smart phone like android, you need wifi point. The retrofit version is cheaper 3rd gen and it has door sensor but it does not compatible with HomeKit so you need wifi point if you want to use function of lock and unlock everywhere.
- Answer The inside is a complete knob. You can just turn it the same way you do with a regular deadbolt. You can do this anytime with power or without
QuestionCurrently the door needs to be pushed in to get the deadlock to easily lock or unlock. The door is a little off centered. Will this be a problem for the Smart Lock?
- Answer If your current setup requires you to manually push in your door to lock or unlock, you will need to have that addressed before any automatic door lock product will work reliably for you. They do provide some recommendations for what may work for your situation, but there are two options: 1. Have a repairman adjust your door 2. Purchase a tapered replacement bolt from a hardware store. The end of the bolt that comes out will be tapered to catch the opening in the frame and essentially help close the door fully. Depending on how much force your door requires, this may or may not be a viable option.
- Answer This lock only knows if it is locked or unlocked, not whether the door is opened or closed. I would say it would not notify you if kicked in, but would if picked or opened by turning the deadbolt. There are other door sensors that will tell you if a door is open or closed.
- Answer No sir, only Batteries. Cheers.
QuestionCan you use this on the inside and have a regular deadbolt on the outside? I have an autistic daughter that escapes and we're trying to keep her in.
- Answer This lock is installed onto your existing deadbolt and will still open with your current key from the outside. The lock is still able to be turned to lock and unlock by hand on the inside, so it would likely not be effective for preventing your daughter from escaping. Hope it helps, good luck.
- Answer Yes it works with then Phillips hue bridge
QuestionAugust website doesn't list this "homekit version". Is this a generation 1, 2, or 3 smart lock?
- Answer It's 2nd generation. Model is ASL2
Questionso if it is wireless what security is in place to prevent a tech savy person from hacking it? does it rely on your wireless internet security or does it have something built in? and what is it?
- Answer It uses Bluetooth to communicate between the phone and lock when you are home. Bluetooth has its own encryption and key pairing standards which are strong enough that it would be much easier to kick in the door or bust a window. There is a wireless add on called the connect which connects it to the internet. Between hacking in vs a quick physical attack a thief would rather be in and out vs taking the time to run decryption on something that isn't really much of a barrier anyway. Besides, you can pick the lock faster than hacking it.
QuestionWhat is the difference between the "August - Smart Lock Bluetooth Keyless Home Entry" and the "August - HomeKit Bluetooth Deadbolt Retrofit Smart Lock"? I can't seem to see a difference from the descriptions.
- Answer I don't believe there is one. If I was to assume, it would be that maybe the kit comes with the August connect, which is a separate adapter that you need to control the lock over the network (unless you have Apple TV which does the same). If you don't have it, then your lock can only be controlled within your phone's Bluetooth proximity. I bought mine separate but now I can control my locks from anywhere. To my knowledge, as a current August customer, they only have the one lock which is a smart, retrofit lock. I hope I helped.
QuestionWhat does this item exactly do. How much does it cost. In your on line add you give no explanation of what this item does.
- Answer This unit is a deadbolt you can control with your smart device. I cannot answer to pricing questions.
QuestionCan it be connected remotely without the August Connect with HomeKit if I have a 4th generation Apple TV? If so, how close should the Apple TV be to the August Lock?
- Answer If you have an Apple TV (3rd or 4th gen), you may use Siri to access your lock remotely without an August Connect. It is also important to note that without the August Connect, our August app will not show you any remote capabilities as using your Apple TV goes through HomeKit. If you have a HomeKit app, Apple’s or a 3rd party, you will then be able to see remote status.
QuestionI would love to get one for my family who lives in Colombia . Would it work over there ? Thanks
- Answer I think it should if with bluetooth not sure if the wifi bridge would work. But I would setup the account here then send them the lock.
QuestionLowes is refusing to price match Best Buy because they have a different model number yet I can't find the difference. They advertise the Smart Lock as model number ASL-02, yet when I look up that number I get this model number. Are they the same?
- Answer Sometime merchants have their own SKU Number generated for the same item, by the manufacturer. This is primarily for product tracking, but it also allows them to altogether avoid, price-matching. Some distributors (in agreement with the manufacturer) have also have been known to alter a package's set in some way along with having an almost 'proprietary SKU,' if you will, for the some purpose of ensuring that merchant is the only one that sells THAT exact package product. Dell does this very, frequently. It's quite annoying; to the point that their "Price Match Guarantee" is downright farcical. Don't waste your time, the SKU's are different so they don't have to price match.