Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $69.99
The regular price is $79.99
- Answer You can check out books from the library using NOOK Simple Touch as long as the books are in PDF or ePub format (most are).
QuestionCan you go on the internet on this?I would like to buy this but, I only read sometimes. I would like to get on the internet and listen to music and all that good stuff.
- Answer No, the Nook Simple Touch Glow is a great e-reader, but not an internet device. You can download books from the store when connected to wi-fi. There are no speakers or earphone jacks for the Glow. It is a dedicated e-reader. I would recommend the Nook Tablet to ... "get on the internet and listen to music and all that good stuff"
Questione-ink vs. e-ink pearli noticed the upcoming Simple Touch doesn't have e-ink pearl display. Is there a difference in the quality of the screens? Are they the same screen size, color and overall physical apperance? Is this one new feature, GlowLight, worth an extra $50+?
- Answer It really all depends on when and where you read. The nook simple touch is best used outside or where light is available. Its text is very sharp but it does not come with an anti reflective coating on the screen. The glow light nook can be used anywhere, but is especially nice if you read at night because you don't need to turn on other lights or have a clip on light for the nook itself. The text isn't quite as sharp as the nook simple touch without glow light but is still very easy to read. This is because it comes with an antireflective coating on the screen. So you have to ask yourself when and where you do most of your reading and if you think having a backlight would be a good thing for you.
QuestionNOOK PC to NOOK e-reader?I'm thinking of buying a NOOK simple touch because i read alot of books very quickly, and I have a NOOK on my PC, but I'm tired of having to lug around my PC (laptop) to read a book that I'm currently into. My Question is: If you have books on a NOOK PC is there a way to transfer them, or read them, on the NOOK simple touch as well? I've looked for this information and haven't found it anywhere, and I would like to know this before i buy a NOOK simple touch. Please and thank you.
- Answer I recommend a free program called Calibre for managing your non-BN-purchased e-book collection. It recognizes many different e-book readers, handles many different formats, and even lets you convert between formats (so, if you have a PDF, but don't want to use the horrid PDF reader in the Simple Touch, simply convert it to epub format and load that). When you have your Nook connected (with USB), it will even show you which books are currently on the device. It has support for managing books stored either in the internal memory or on the SD card if you have one installed. About the only thing it doesn't do is handle DRM-protected books, but for anything you purchased through BN, that's managed automatically by the Nook, so that's no problem. For handling DRM-protected books (e.g. books you check out from a library) you'll probably need to use Adobe Digital Editions to authenticate and transfer it to the Nook.
QuestionWill the crispness of the text, which has been supposedly compromised......By the new anti-glare coating be able to be restored with a software or firmware update? Future update possibility? Or will such an update not affect the text quality or it's darkness?
- Answer The crispness of the text has not been compromised at all, and you will enjoy all the benefits of reading on the most advanced E Ink display along with the added versatility of the GlowLight with the new NOOK Simple Touch.
QuestionDo I have to order e-books from B&N or can I load them from Amazon?Looking to buy the nook with Glolight, will I have to purchase e-reader books from B&N or can I also load books from Amazon?
- Answer You can obtain ebooks from many different sources and read them on your NOOK Simple Touch, but they must be in a compatible format - (ePub or PDF, for instance). Amazon uses a proprietary ebook format that is nor supported by NOOK.
- Answer Books are charged a one time fee. You can also download free books through the Nook store or even check out books using your library card. Most magazines offer both a one time annual fee OR a monthly fee.
- Answer Your NOOK must be registered to a valid US address and associated with a US credit card in order to ensure digital rights management compliance. Once your NOOK is registered, you can use it to download books anywhere.
- Answer NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight comes with a USB cable, power adapter, and built-in screen protector.
QuestionWill my grandson be able to download free games from Nickelodeon website and cartoonnetwork?I would like to purchase my grandson an E Reader that can go to the internet tp play games
- Answer It is not possible to download apps from sources other than the NOOK app store, which has thousands of popular games, but you can play online games when they are optimized for mobile devices.
Questionis GlowLight worth losing a crisp display??This is more of a statement than a question. I always want to get the newest, latest and greatest technology, and I was planning on pre ordering one for myself. Then I thought about how much more money i would be spending for this 1 new feature, at the same time losing crispness of the font due to a unremoveable screen protector. A few months ago i bought the new Samsung Nexus phone and was really wowed by the screen clarity, until the store worker sold me a screen protector that was anti-glare, nice in bright sunlight....horrible in every other light. it made my photos look blurry. And I remembered when in low light I don't reach for my nook Simple Touch, i use my phone with nook app or tablet...hmm, its just something to think about before running to buy the newest gadget. In closing, I have to say that I LOVE my nook Simple Touch (w/o GlowLight) it was a great purchase and i love how it fits into all my purses! However I am going to need more reasons to upgrade this time.
- Answer It sounds like you have your answer already. Since you already have other devices that you use to read with when there is little light and already have a nook simple touch it would probably make more sense to just stick what you already have.
QuestionI want to buy this product to save my kid from school books weight. Are school books downloadable?I want to save my kid from school books weight in her backpack. So I'm buying this product. Are school books downloadable to Nook ereader?
- Answer Reading ebooks on NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight is a great way to lighten your child's backpack. Without knowing specifically what schoolbooks you are looking for, I can't answer your question precisely, but with over 3 million titles available at BN.com, chances are the books you need are available through the NOOK store. NOOK supports the universal ePub format, so you can also obtain ebooks from many other sources (including the public library) and sideload them from you computer to your NOOK.
QuestionDo you have to be able to connect to the internet for all nooks?Do you have to be able to connect to the internet for all nooks?
- Answer NOOK connects to the internet via Wi-Fi, which is necessary only when purchasing new content or syncing your library with the cloud. Once content is downloaded to your device, you do not need to be connected to read.
- Answer You do not need to replace any batteries on NOOK Simple Touch with Glowlight -- it is rechargeable with the included power cord and adapter.
- Answer Yes. When in a book, tap the center of the screen or the up arrow at the bottom of the screen to bring up the Reading Tools. To adjust the text size, tap the “text” icon and select your text size, font style, and other options.
QuestionClock wrongHas anyone else had a problem with the clock being wrong on their Nook GlowLight? I returned the first one I got because the hours AND minutes were off (eliminating a time zone change for the easy fix). I'm on my second and it has the same problem. The clock is several hours and several minutes off. I've tried hard resets, soft resets, product exchanges, BN support....nothing. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone find a solution? If not then hopefully this is addressed by the next software update.
- Answer Mine matches my work computer time perfectly. Work computer is sync'd to atomic clock.
Questiondownloading e-booksCan I download e-books to my computer, then transfer to SD micro card card then insert it to my nook?
- Answer Yes, you can either load the microSD card on your computer, or insert the microSD in the Nook and plug the Nook into your computer with the USB connector; it will show up as two drives, one the internal memory on the Nook, the other is your microSD card. The card must be formatted in FAT16 format, I think it is; you can format it in the Nook itself. The directory layout for books doesn't matter (though I think screen savers might need to be in a specific location, and not totally sure they can even be in the external memory anyway, haven't played around with that). I also use Adobe Digital Editions to download books from my library and install them on the Nook. Once you get it set up, it's fairly seamless (you download a small file from the library, which opens in Adobe Digital Editions and downloads the actual book; you then drag the book to the Nook icon. You'll need to "authorize" the Nook the first time you transfer, but it's pretty painless. You'll also need a (free) account from Adobe to use Adobe Digital Editions. ADE also will NOT use the microSD card, it will only transfer to the Nook internal memory - but you can move it manually after it's transferred.
QuestionBuying from Location...I am a Canadian Resident, and I wish to buy a Nook SImple Touch Glowlight from Buffalo, NY. I was just wondering weather I can use my local library in my neighbourhood, to borrow books. I know you can, but even thought I will buy from United States (America), will my local library (near my home) allow me to borrow books?
- Answer If your local library has the epub format you will have no trouble. I use Adobe Digital Editions to download to and transfer to Nook. I also use Calibre, a wonderful free book program to store and transfer books I find from other sources such as Smashwords or Gutenberg.