Questions & Answers
- Answer When I installed the Orbi system in my home, I turned off Wifi in my U-verse router to enable the Orbi to assume that role which it is intended to do using a mesh throughout the home. I then connected the main unit to my modem, changed the settings and then installed the 2 additional satellites. Prior to having the Orbi, my wifi was absolutely horrendous, I was constantly having to reboot. We had one bedroom which received no signals at all. With an abundance of cell phones, iPads, computers, playstation and TV's all competing for space in a multi-story home, the U-Verse system was overwhelmed and unable to handle more than 2 or three at a time. Since installing Orbi, I no longer have to reboot period! The system allows us to connect from anywhere within the home to include the garage using seemingly unlimited sources. The family is no longer frustrated and there are no restraints. What a fantastic improvement this has made for us. Take the time in setting an Orbi system up and you should be rewarded handsomely.
QuestionWith the three pack system, does the wifi signal daisy chain from each other? My base would be at one end of my house, and I am thinking that I will need to place one sat. unit in the middle of the house, and the second sat. at the far end.
- Answer Yes you can daisy chain them. That is what I did it works great. The main router is on one end of the house, one satellite is in the middle of the house and one satellite is at the far end of the house. They all use the same network name.
QuestionIf I buy the three Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi System and find it doesn't quite cover the area I want to cover, can I add another Orbi Mesh?
- Answer Yes you can, just buy a single satellite. Save money by buying the largest grouping you think you may need.
- Answer There are two Ethernet ports on the Satellites. I use one of them for a wired backhaul.
QuestionI want to connect to a barn about 200 ft from the router. The main router is on the main floor inside a brick home. My current router does reach the garage but not inside. Metal structure. Will the Orbi improve the signal?
- Answer Brick house the metal shop is about 30 yds away went from no signal to good signal.
QuestionCan these units be connected via ethernet cable and not wifi? Where I want to put these, there are ethernet ports available/
- Answer Yes you can, but according to the Netgear website, instruction manual and some other forums be sure to **Update your Firmware First**. I set mine up wirelessly, updated firmware and then proceeded to connect via ethernet. Be patient when connecting, as it takes a couple minutes as updates it's internal settings to use the hardwired backhaul. After going through those steps it works great. **Warning** please check the RBK43 specs on Netgear's website. The Satellites only have 2 LAN Ports available. The pictures and description on the Best Buy website are incorrect.
Questionconfused the pic shows 4 ports for each satellite, but when I bought them and looked their is only 2 ports on each plus the 3 on the router?
- Answer This lower priced set comes with rbs20 satellites with only 2 ports and only 4 attennas versus the rbs40 satellite that have 4 ports and 6 antennas. Rbs40 comea with the $399 systwm. Net gear did this to.provide a scalable system that is priced for the averge user. The tech soecs lisyed in this add are incorrect saying it has 11 ports. The rbs20 satellites are normally boxed with the rbk23 system where the router and satellites are scaled down.
QuestionThey mention Single Network Name for easy setup in the details, but does this support multiple SSIDs?
- Answer Yes, it will have its main SSID and you can create a guest SSID with its own password on the ORBI app.
- Answer This is a Wi-Fi mesh router system only, no modem.
QuestionI see that both 2.4 and 5ghz are supported. Since the base unit will be next to my modem and the the tv is in the same room, should I be streaming 5ghz to the tv or 2.4ghz? Also, does that mean I need to define one name for 2.4ghz and another for 5ghz?
- Answer The Orbi uses a Feature called Smart Connect so that it will connect to the best available band. - NETGEAR
QuestionI currently have a combination Modem/Router Netgear Model C3700. Can I use that device to add the Orbi AC2200 to my WiFi system or do I need to get a stand-alone modem to use with my cable supplier?
- Answer You could use it with your modem/router but I would kill the WiFi for the modem/router. Also, you may need to make an adjustment at both the modem and the new router. You could google what would be the best settings for that application . The easiest thing would be to just get a stand-alone modem and then use orbi to handle the routing.
QuestionI have a Netgear router set up in our game room and have 3 bars in my office 90’ away. I have a workshop outside 108’ from the office I need to be able to get WiFi in it. The total length from the router is approximately 200’. Will the 3 Orbi system work
- Answer It depends upon how you setup the system, but you should be able to get a much better signal out there. I would put the first Orbi at your modem location, the 2nd Orbi near the edge of your house towards the shed (make sure that Orbi has a good signal to #1), then put the third Orbi at a place in your shed that has a good connection to Orbi #2. With some experimentation, you should get a decent signal in your shed and everywhere in between. In addition, if you have any ability to run a network cable from Orbi #1 to Orbi #2 (or #3 for that matter), then you can eliminate some of the wireless backhaul work and will improve throughput. However, the Orbi system seems to relay pretty well through the wireless backhaul and will tell you whether it has a good signal or not.
- Answer You will get the same speed as your router
- Answer I'm not sure the maximum, but we are using it in an office with at least 30-40 devices and haven't noticed any problems. As for speed, it completely depends upon your distance from the router, obstacles, simultaneous connections, etc. but I've seen some devices connecting as high as 800mbps so it should handle your modem speeds pretty well.
QuestionFor devices plugged into the satellites via ethernet, how are the connection speeds compared to just connecting the device via wifi?
- Answer Connecting devices via ethernet is definitely the way to go. Specially things like TVs, base stations for things like security cameras, etc. MUCH BETTER!
QuestionI bought the 3 pack about 9 months ago now I finished my room above the garage and need another satellite up there, is it possible to buy one satellite separately ?
- Answer Yes you can, and it doesnt have to be the same exact model sattelite just an Orbi sattelite.