Nest thermostat installation and control.
This video will show you how to install your Nest Learning Thermostat and control it from your mobile device.
Making Sure Your Wiring Is Compatible with Nest
Before you even open the box, make sure your new Nest thermostat will work with your current wiring. Follow the steps below to check compatibility:
- Remove the cover of your old thermostat
- Make note of the wires used to connect it (they should all be labeled with a letter)
- Using a Web browser on a computer or mobile device, go to www.Nest.com/works
- Enter the letter codes of the wires you see connected to your old thermostat in the Nest compatibility checker at www.Nest.com/works
- If the compatibility checker says everything is good, you are ready to proceed
NOTE: Do not try to install Nest thermostat if the compatibility checker says your wiring is not compatible. The thermostat will not work with your current wiring configuration.
Installing Your New Thermostat
Installing your Nest thermostat is easy, and it shouldn't require any special tools. Here's a quick guide to installation:
- Switch off the power to your heating and cooling system before disconnecting your old thermostat
- Take pictures of your current wiring configuration in case you need to refer to them later
- Label the wires as you disconnect them (wire labels are included with your Nest thermostat)
- Remove the old thermostat
- Install the new Nest thermostat
Setting Up Your Thermostat for the First Time
Once Nest has been installed, it should automatically turn on and is able to be set up for the first time. Here are some quick guidelines to help you through the setup process:
- Follow the on-screen instructions to answer a few simple questions about your home and wireless network
- Adjust the temperature on your thermostat up or down to make your home comfortable
- Nest will begin memorizing your preferences after a few days and will adjust temperature automatically
NOTE: Nest takes 24 hours to fully charge. During this period, your thermostat may not be able to connect to your home network.
Using the Nest App
With the Nest app and website, you can sync your thermostat to a computer or mobile device, giving you the option to remotely adjust the temperature of your home, view a detailed history of your heating or cooling system's energy usage, and more. To get started, follow the setup process below:
- Download the Nest app to the mobile device you'll use to control your thermostat
- Tap the Add button
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your thermostat to your Nest account
Combining Nest with Other Smart Home Products
Your Nest Learning Thermostat can do a lot more than just adjust the temperature of your home. Some fitness trackers, lighting, appliances and even cars can work together with your Nest to make your life easier and save you money. Check out www.Nest.com/workswithnest to see the possibilities.