I was really excited to purchase these on a Deal of the Day for $199 (vs $379) and even more excited to use them in the real-world…that is, until I started using them.
After owning and loving the Bose SoundTrue Headphones Around-Ear for a while, I decided I wanted to go wireless. I really wanted to Bose QC35’s, but holy h*ll, they don’t go on-sale and are rather expensive! Between full price Beats and Bose, I would go with the Bose, however, I did not want to spend $349.
Real world use entailed flight from Alaska > Seattle > Seoul > Da Nang > Bangkok…and back. Many, many hours to use in the fuselage of jets.
Ok, the dirty on the Beats by Dr. Dre - Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphones - Unity Edition Red White Blue, MMHL2AM/A:
• Comfort: These are not a true ‘over the ear’ headphone, they rest on the tops of your ears and become uncomfortable after short periods of use. Ears are not round Dre, they are oval'ish.
• Heavy: These things are not light and they do not feel as solid as one would think they should, especially when factoring in the weight.
• Bulky: ‘Bulks by Dre’ is more like it, not easy to store if space is an issue, like when on a jet or any other space limiting place.
• Sound: Not great at all, especially for the price, even the sale price. Bass sounds ‘processed’ and not real. The treble also sounded poor and too bright. Most of the time I would be listening to Sade or Lana Del Rey, you know, music to chill and sleep to while on the plane. Experience with heavier music was the same, an overall tinny processed horrid sound experience.
• Noise Cancellation: was alright, but could be a little better. Had to crank the volume to remove myself from the outside world.
• Battery Life: I did not run into any issues. I would keep them charged, as my sanity on the trip depended on them not dying. I read a couple of FAQ’s and they all stated these headphones, with the supplied audio cable, will not work if the battery is dead. The Bose QC35’s will work if hard-wired and the battery is dead, just no active noise cancellation.
After getting home I promptly returned the 'Bulks' and picked up the Bose QC35’s, paying the extra $150 (review coming – QC35’s are amazing!!!).
Fun fact about the ‘Bulks by Dre’ – “someone” I was talking with told me Beats get returned all the time. I asked “this person” about the return rate on the Bose, answer…”never”. I know why too.
I asked my nephew if he was interested in buying these at the sale price, he was not interested at all. I'm not sure what the right price is for me to have kept them...yes, yes I am actually, same result even at $100 or $50, returned and purchased something I would be completely happy with.