Several negative reviews of this product are downright false. I read the reviews and was concerned, but figured I could return the unit if they were really true, but they were not. I have worked with this unit for several weeks and am extremely happy with it, especially considering that I bought it to replace my Ram 1500 in-car GPS that used the same software, but failed for hardware reasons. Ram wants thousands to replace it and wants $149 just to update the maps. This unit functions exactly the same as my Ram navigation unit for less than a map update in the vehicle system costs, plus it comes with free lifetime map updates.
Here are the false negative review claims debunked:
(1) The unit DOES automatically recalculate routes when you drive down a different road than on the route shown. Reviews that say it does not recalculate are false and this unit works seamlessly to guide you through detours on your route.
(2) This unit DOES NOT automatically shut off when power is disconnected. When the power is disconnected, it tells you it will shut down in 15 seconds unless you tap the screen button to keep it on. If you do keep it on, it will stay active for over an hour (personally tested this).
(3) The unite DOES NOT need to be reprogrammed every time it shuts off. I have tested this repeatedly, putting in a route, partially driving that route, then powering off the unit. When the unit powers back up, the route comes back up as well along with all of your personal settings (like the "north-up" map view I prefer to use.
(4) Updating software and maps DOES NOT take hours. Mine went through the full process when I purchased it in 28 minutes total.
(5) The mounting hardware IS very sturdy. Despite reviews that say otherwise, the mount is so secure that you really have to work to remove it.
(6) The power cable IS very secure. The cable clicks in and remains seated despite some light pulling and tugging. It won't "fall out" as claimed by another review (unless you yank VERY hard...)
BOTTOM LINE: This is a very reliable unit that solves the data connectivity issues of cell phone navigation when going through areas with no or limited cell service. It works flawlessly, is easy to use and understand, and appearance wise fits ascetically well within the dash area of the vehicle. For Dodge/Ram/Jeep/Chrysler owners with a navigation system that fails, this is your best bet for replacement and will save you thousands for the same software you are used to having.