Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $1,237.99
The regular price is $1,649.99
QuestionIs the Panel an IPS panel? Is it 120hz as described on the ASUS website for these new models with the new Kaby Lake processors?
- Answer No, this particular model does not have a 120Hz display. It has a 75Hz display. Some Asus GL702 builds do have the higher refresh rate, but this Best Buy build isn't one of those lucky ones. The build model of this particular laptop is GL702VS-B17N12. Those last six digits in the model number tell you what kind of build the laptop is. They all might say GL702VS in the front, but there are several different builds. I do wish they'd teach the "blue shirts" this knowledge. It's still an awesome laptop
- Answer No it does not come with SSD. I bought my own SSD M.2 Card and installed it to my machine. This comes only with the standard laptop drive 7200 RPM 1TB. There are websites that offer customization, but I prefer to do it my own and save some 40 - 50 bucks by personally buying it.
QuestionDual channel memory & 12GB? Since they don't sell ram in 6GB increments, how did they setup Dual Channel memory with 12GB? If they're running a 8 & a 4, it's losing 10% or so memory bandwidth just because it has unmatched ram...
- Answer Yes, you are right it is 8/4 set up, I will be upgrading mine to 2x 16 2400's. Also a known problem is it runs high graphic games at 98•C which is too hot so you have to undervolt the cpu -.125v to -.150v to keep it sup 87•c
QuestionIs this model VR ready? Does this model come with the M.2 slot to upgrade for a sid state drive?
- Answer Yes, VR ready. Yes, m2 slot.
QuestionDoes the keyboard light up? Noticed the function on the keyboard but when I hit the button nothing happens
- Answer Yes it does. But you have to press the function button on the bottom left labelled 'FN' and the key at the top of the keyboard, hope that helps!
- Answer Thunderbolt 3 is an Intel platform. The ASUS has Intel Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type-C compatibility.
QuestionSo this get hot 98 Celsius. So just turn down some thing in it forgot what it's called the voltage thing right?So in turn what will turning that down do exactly?Will that make wow game run slower? Will the heat in turn Burn the hdd?will cooling fan help?
- Answer Get a Cooling Pad, if you can pay someone to modify the cooling system that would be best, but if thats not an option An Undervolt of at least -125 should do the trick, use Throttlestop, setup 2 profiles, both undervolt -125, but the first profile uses turbo and speedsteps only to 64, and the second profile turns off Turbo and speedsteps to 128 when the processor temp reaches DTS 20 and/or the GPU reaches 79, these settings have not slowed down my games or made me turn down settings dramatically, though I would recommend turning down AO, Shadows and other processor intensive settings to keep the temp down even lower.
QuestionI know that there's a m.2 slot on the machine, but does it support pcie as well as sata 3 ssds
- Answer The normal Hard Drive is attached via Sata III so Sata III SSDs should work, as should M.2. Sata and NVME drives since there is an M.2. Slot, I've seen people use M.2. Sata and I use an NVME.
- Answer delta 230watt
QuestionSomeone said that the 8gb of memory is actually "soldered" onto the board & the other 4gb memory card is in a slot. Can someone please confirm if this is true. It seems like a deal breaker... what if that 8gb goes bad & not to mention the upgradability.
- Answer There are two DIMM slots and on mine, the ram is not soldered.
- Answer Sort of: there is a 2.5" SATA drive that can be changed to an SSD and a M.2 slot that can accommodate PCIe/NVMe SSDs. The M.2 slot may be empty depending on the model you buy. Please see this article: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Strix-GL702VS-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1070-Xotic-PC-Edition-Notebook-Review.207150.0.html This is not the exact Best Buy version but the motherboard should be the same. Hope this helps.
QuestionThis is a silly question, but is the price in US or Canadian dollars? I am located in Canada and not sure whether the price was converted for me or not. Thanks
- Answer If it's $1,649 or $1,700, something like that, then it's US. Bestbuy.com is all USD, go to Bestbuy.ca for Canuk money (I'm french-canadian so I can say that).
- Answer It has one built in