Questions & Answers
QuestionWill this work with xfinity Comcast cable and voice? Thinking of replacing current modem supplied by Comcast which was shaped as arris svg2482Ac.
- Answer I have an xfinity triple play with gig speeds. This router works for my plan. However you can go to Xfinity’s website and see their approved third party devices for your plan.
- Answer The answer depends on your service level (internet only, double play, triple play, etc), requirements (wireless, # ports, etc), and budget. I prefer a separate modem and router. That said, look for the highest spec units you can afford. We recently upgraded to Triple PlaySo I needed to upgrade my modem. For the modem, look for DOCSIS 3.1 and as many channels as possible. That will future-proof your modem. I went with a CM1050 because I needed voice capability. If you don’t need voice, the CM1000 is basically the same. My speed test went from about 98mb to 158mb In my case I went with an R7000p. It’s an AC2300 wireless (get the highest AC# you can afford). It has 4 GigE ports (I needed more so I added a separate switch), and 2 USB 3.0 ports that can be used for shared storage or printing ( I don’t use these). If you need an all in one, a C7800 has all of the specs but is pricey. Good luck.
QuestionIf I'm going to run the 300Mbps or 600 Mbps service (with voice), is there any advantage to this CM1150V over the CM500V?
- Answer Hello, I have been using the CM500V Docsis 3.0 for 2 years now with no problems . I am getting 550 to 571 Mbps. The modem is rated for a maximum of 680 Mbps. I have a 500 Mbps plan with Xfinity/Comcast. did the self install in 10 minutes. I am now upgrading to the CM1150V Docsis 3.1 for the 1000 Mbps. Triple Play. The CM1150V will future proof your system if you plan to upgrade your speed in the future. Hope this answer helps you out!
QuestionI have Comcast triple play what is the difference between this model Nighthawk 32x8 DOCSIS 3.1 and Nighthawk 1900 WiFi cable modem Router for xfinety internet and voice
- Answer Although you didn't mention the cable modem model, I assume it is the Netgear Model:CM1150V-100NAS, since, as an owner, I got an email regarding your question. First and foremost, the CN1150V is only a cable modem, while the 1900 (there appear to be several versions) is a modem/router combination. Also, while I can't go into specifics of each 1900 models' capabilities, some appear to offer voice capability while others don't. The 1150V does offer VIOP connections. The other big difference appears to be that the 1900's only come in DICSIS 3.0 versions, 10x slower than 3.1 (according to their specs). Personally, I've only had my setup for a few weeks, so I have no long term experience to share. My 1150V is paired to the new Nighthawk Model:RAX80-100NAS. At this point my opinion of these models is disappointment. Every day it seems I lose my connection have to troubleshoot and manually reboot them. Today it took 30 minutes to reconnect. My old Arris modem and Netgear 1600 router seldom had any problems. I only mention this because having 2 components to troubleshoot may be a factor in deciding on a modem/router combination. Also, while the difference in speed may be a factor for you, I cannot yet take advantage of the higher speeds DOCSIS 3.1 offers. I chose my setup primarily for the WiFi capability of the RAX80 that wasn't available in the combo units. The 1150V seemed to be a good match for it. Now if only they were reliable.
- Answer The CM1000 will, yes, for GIGABIT service per WoW's approved modem list: https://www.wowway.com/docs/wow/documents-support-internet/modem-compatibility-list.pdf
- Answer Yes it will. It's one of the few that's voice compatible
- Answer Yes. This works with Cox right out of the box. Make sure you get the 1200 voice to ensure it works with Cox voice
QuestionWill this modem do port forwarding. Not the type the xfinity modems do but actually forward say port 80 to port 180?
- Answer This is a cable modem. Use your router to setup port forward.
QuestionDoes this modem (Netgear CM1150V) have a battery backup. One picture I have seen of this model shows the battery status at the bottom and the picture of this model I see on Best buy does not give a real good picture of it and I do not see it in the Specs.
- Answer No there is no battery backup on this device.
QuestionIf I drop my Comcast phone service in the future and just have internet and TV will this modem still work
- Answer Yes, the phone line is an option not a requirement.
- Answer Yes, you can connect up to 2 phone lines to this modem.