Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $159.99
QuestionRouter rangeI am trying to find a wireless router that will reach approximately 350 feet through several walls and still be able to maintain the speed as if I were 5 foot from the router. How does the extenders work and how reliable is their performance? What are your suggestions?
- Answer Our house is only 2000 sq. feet and the Nighthawk now gives us internet from one end to the other, up and down with no problem through 3 or 4 walls and past a refrigerator..
QuestionDoes this router have a firewall and what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a router with a firewall?Need a new wireless router but after researching different ones, I have so many questions, including the one above! Also, is WPA or WPA 2 a better type of encryption?
- Answer Yes, this route has a very nice firewall that I use. The advantage of using the firewall on this router is that you aren't using MS Windows horrible firewall. Plus you have many features to use like limiting time and very nice browsing protection that actually works. Remove access to whatever sites you want. naughty sites, gambling, fanatical sites, religious cults, you name it. The only disadvantage using it would be if you had an actual dedicated hardware firewall, which is a bit overkill for home use in my opinion. Plus they are much more expensive than this router. WPA is out dated and easy to hack. WPA2 is much better and allows you to use password phrases instead of crazy long hard to remember hex strings. You should use WPA2 Personal. Just about any wireless device within the last 8 years will support it. earlier than that there is no guarantee. Hope I helped answer your questions. :D Have a good day!
QuestionHow many computers can I connect to this router?How many computers can i connect to this router at the same time? Will i be able to get on the internet with all of them while connected?
- Answer I have 2 laptops, 2 IPads 3 IPhones a Blueray player and a smart TV all on at the same time with excellent signal strength and no drop outs and have not had to reboot. Hope this helps, you wont be dissapointed by this router!
- Answer It sure will and it will make the wifi much faster than the one they provide.
QuestionDoes this router have a WPS button for easy linking?I am looking for a new router that has a WPS button on it so I can link wireless items in my home easier that also have a WPS button on them. So I need to know if this has it because I do not see any in the pictures provided.
- Answer It does have it. It is the button on the far right. It does not say WPS, it just has the symbol.
QuestionIs the R7000 more stable and robust than the Airport Extreme (802.11 n and ac)?We've been using an Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11 b and g), but we're having to reboot once or twice a month. So, we're considering the Nighthawk. thanks.
- Answer That's so funny you say that because I did the same upgrade.. I have to say I've had my nighthawk plugged in for 3 months in below zero degrees and I've had no need to reboot it. Those poor expensive Apple Airport Extremes are showing they're age.
- Answer with this all you need is your internet connection, its pretty much plug and go, already set to block people from gaining unwanted access. If you need more security it is simple as opening up a web page and changing the settings.
QuestionWill this router work with Centurylink?Centurylink using old phone line for internet, do I have to use their modem/router or does Netgear have something that will work?
- Answer The router will work with any ISP provider. The issue wouldn't be the router, but your modem (note: this is a router only and does not have a built-in modem). So the question would be whether the modem you have will work with a given provider (if you have your own modem). Otherwise the provider will usually supply the modem.
QuestionDoes this router offer a "guest" signal so visitors to my house can use my wireless without giving them access to my full network via my WPS key?
- Answer Yes it does. There is both a 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz signal for guests separate from the two main antennas.
- Answer This router is compatible with all internet services.
- Answer Yes it works with any internet company, but you have to have a good quality modem and good internet speed to see how well this router can keep up! I've streamed at least 3 movies and surfed the internet on this router at once with no lagging or pausing noted.
QuestionHas the firmware issue with the R7000 been fixed. Reading the user boards, the last firmware update bricked a lot of these routers and caused intermittent signal loss. Most of the user boards recommended backing up two versions of the firmware.
- Answer I just replaced our R7000 yesterday due to the problems listed above. I couldn't ever get them resolved and refused to pay Netgear for support after 90 days.
QuestionDoes it have bright LED lights like the Netgear 1750 does and so many other routers? I need a router that does Not have bright LED lights because it will be in my bedroom keeping me from sleeping well.
- Answer Yes and no they are not very bright, how ever i found out in the setting there is a option to turn all the LED lights off except the power LED. Hope that helps.
QuestionI'm paying for 100 mbps speed in my home, will this router give me the full speed from my modem. I'm currently only getting about 50-60 mbps
- Answer First step is to determine why you are only getting half of the speed you are paying for. My suggestion would be to hard wire a computer direct to the modem and test you internet speed. This will tell you whether the router or the modem is the cause. If you are not getting full speed from your modem make sure your cable connection (if that is what you have) has no splitters in the line. If it does remove them and test the modem again. If it is still slow the modem might be the cause and you should replace that before the router. If its not and the cause is the router yes this router with give you all the speed you need. I have 150mbps and am getting that and above with this router setup. Hope this helps good luck.
- Answer Yes. You can use the Netgear with your DSL. Use the eithernet cable that comes with the Netgear and plug it into your DSL modem. It will greatly improve your Internet. I also had to do the same. I'm also not having to reset the DSL modem like I used to and streaming video had greatly improved along with range.
QuestionCan I use the chords that I have hooked up to my current router to hook this up or do I have to get different chords?
- Answer Yes, you can use the cords that you have hooked up to your current router to hook this up.
- Answer Yes, it will work. It was the best thing I could have done. Turn off the wireless option on your AT&T Uverse modem/router, connect the Netgear Nighthawk and use that network to connect to wifi. Your speeds and consistency will greatly improve.
Questionwill this router work with OS 10.6.8?The airport extreme will not work with OS 10.6.8 on a Mac. Will this router work with that operating system?
- Answer Yes. Works with my iMac, Mac Air, Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, Samsung Tablet...everything, NP!