Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $38.99
The previous price was $39.99
- Answer Yes, it will connect. There are usually two ways to connect when just using your laptop. First, you connect to the hotel wifi using ssid and password. The second is when you connect directly to the wifi, but then a web page appears and you need to enter informaiton and/or do a confirmation. Both ways are supported. In the router setup, there is a Quick setup option that searches for SSIDs and you can enter a password. You can also define what you want your 2.4 and 5ghz SSIDs to be in the router. However, the travel router cannot process the popup web page in the second case above (there is no screen or keyboard). The prescribed way to support this is to connect to the hotel wifi with your laptop, and then enter the acknowledge info on the web page. Then disconnect from the hotel wifi, connect to your router wifi and select MAC clone under Network. This makes the router temporarily use your MAC address from your laptop. So when you choose Quick Setup, the hotel host already has your MAC address stored, so you don't get the web page login. It works great. I use it all the time at hotels, panera, starbucks. I use the travel router a lot at starbucks. Once I configure it to use my MAC address and run quick setup, I can move from starbucks to starbucks and just plug in the router and it works. No need to re-setup. Whenever I visit a new place like a hotel or panera, I do have to reconfigure, and then reconfigure if I go back to starbucks. I am at starbucks now near Austin. I plugged in the wifi router. By the time I turn on my laptop, the router is ready and I connect to my own SSID which has been bridged to starbucks SSID. Never use a public wifi without a encryption: travel router like this device or a VPN.
- Answer We have had 12 devices connected when using the router in a hotel conference room. No issues.
QuestionCan this provide internet access with a SIM card? I also have a Verizon MIFI that I could use. Will it connect to it? The MIFI only has a USB port. No Cat5/6 jack.
- Answer No, it won't take a SIM card and you don't need to plug it into the MiFi unit. Using the WISP mode, it can wirelessly connect to one access point (the MiFi) and create a new network for other devices to join.
QuestionDo u have to already have a WiFi in order to use this or is it like a hot spot on ur phone like when you connect through Bluetooth ...
- Answer The router provides dual-band WiFi connectivity; however you will need an existing Internet source (i.e. a modem and an Internet plan from a provider) if you would like both WiFi connectivity and Internet access within your home. Regards, TP-LinK Support
- Answer Yes, you can. It can be powered over USB. The router will need a cellular connection from a hotspot for your uplink.
QuestionCan this device accept USB tether as internet from phone, then provide wifi to house. I only have cell internet in my location so I look for services with reduced speed, but high data packages for streaming. Currently use older Cradlepoint mbr 95.
- Answer No, it will take the wireless WIFI provided by your cell phone, AKA: tether WIFI, and broadcast that signal through out a larger area than you phone can. Allowing multiple devices to connect to your cell phone internet, like a Home Computer, Laptop, Printer, etc.
QuestionI'm trying to connect an Arlo 2 camera system to a wifi router. My current wifi is using my hotspot on my phone. therefore, there is not an ethernet connection. How can I make this work?
- Answer You won't with this device, what you want to do is quite a bit more complicated and you will need completely different equipment. Your question is beyond what a Q&A board at BB is going to provide.
QuestionCan this bridge connect to my verizon hotspot wifi so I can then connect a linksys n600 router to this wireless bridge
- Answer Yes, I use mine to do just that. I connect my hotspot to my WiFi Router.
QuestionSo when you order it and get it do you just cut it on and it give you a password and you put that in your game,laptop,phones,etc or do you already have to have a WiFi box in the house because I don’t have a WiFi box in my home so can I still use it.
- Answer I hope this helps answer your question; The device has a generic password set at the factory. DO NOT KEEP THIS PASSWORD - DO NOT USE THIS PASSWORD BEYOND AS NEEDED TO SET THE DEVICE UP - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU ASSIGN THE DEVICE A PASSWORD ONLY YOU KNOW - THE PASSWORD YOU ASSIGN THE DEVICE WILL REPLACE THE PASSWORD THE DEVICE HAS FROM THE FACTORY - IF YOU FORGET THE PASSWORD YOU ASSIGNED TO THE DEVICE, THE FACTORY PASSWORD CAN BE RECOVERED AND PUT BACK INTO SERVICE VIA A HARD RESET OF THE DEVICE - MAKE SURE YOU PROVIDE A NEW PASSWORD FOR THE DEVICE AFTER A HARD RESET. THIS DEVICE REQUIRES ACCESS TO AN INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, I.S.P. TO FUNCTION. THE INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, I.S.P., PROVIDES THE GATEWAY, OR DOORWAY, TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB AKA; THE INTERNET, AKA; CONNECTED WORLD, AKA; INTERNET OF THINGS. The I.S.P. provides internet service, (SIGNAL), to this doorway, gateway, access to the internet with equipment built to their specifications. The I.S.P. can provide their equipment, or you can purchase your own equipment built to the providers specifications, the equipment allows you to have an account with the I.S.P., and monitored access to the I.S.P.'s internet service signal/feed and data management/dispatch/delivery equipment for which you will pay a monthly fee. All Mainstream Cellular service providers, are also I.S.P.'s and allow you to carry the internet with you via your smartphone. This all said, its my opinion based on personal experience, 98% of the time you do not need, and will have no use for, a device such as this. This device can connect to EXISTING INTERNET SERVICE. INTERNET SERVICE THAT IS ALREADY ESTABLISHED WITH AN I.S.P., AND TO WHOM THE CONNECTED CLIENT OF THIS I.S.P. PAYS A MONTHLY FEE FOR THEIR CONNECTION, LEVEL OF SERVICE, AND POSSIBLY EQUIPMENT. THE ONLY THING THIS DEVICE DOES, IF YOU HAVE THE INTERNET CLIENTS PERMISSION, IS ESTABLISH A WIRELESS RELAY CONNECTION TO THAT CLIENTS WIRELESS BROADCAST I.S.P. CONNECTION. If you travel, use public WIFI, this device will enhance the pre-established WIFI signal to that I.S.P. Clients connection to the internet via that clients pre-established WIFI router's broadcast signal. If you find yourself in a Motel on a single floor plan where the office is the center, two wings of rooms extending to the left and right of center, and the Office is the location of the I.S.P. connection and WIFI Broadcast signal. That signal may not be strong enough in the end rooms to ensure a stable internet connection, this device may be able to reliably connect to that WIFI signal, and amplify it so that your Laptop can connect. The biggest advantage to this device, the reason for having one, it's protection of your computer and the data it holds inside. Simply put, this is the brick wall between all the people using the motels WIFI I.S.P. connection, and your laptop. All those other people have to get through this device, before they can start snooping around inside your laptop. If the existing pre-established WIFI I.S.P. connections is overloaded with too many users, this device can't do anything to fix that. This device is not capable of providing internet in the absence of a PRE-EXISTING fee based I.S.P., internet connection. Even so called free access public WIFI, at the point where that WIFI signal originates, the I.S.P. connection/access, somebody is getting a bill for that service. This device will only connect to wireless internet service if you have the permission and logon credentials to use that service. I use it to communicate with my Vehicle's 3 onboard computer networks. From my home office, to my Vehicle in the driveway, I can reprogram vehicle systems attached to any one of the 12 vehicle computer modules that the vehicle manufacturer allows me to access and manipulate. Primarily convenience, comfort, visibility, and sensors that alert the driver to potential hazards. As well as run various vehicle system diagnostics, and engine diagnostic procedures. As long as I have a signal to my smartphone, I have internet access. Lastly, if you think you can use this to make an end run around mom and dads restrictions regarding your use of the residential WIFI, think again. This device does not hide well, and certainly not in plain sight. Besides, we will most certainly know about it, the problem for you is, how much we know, and for how long we knew it! Hope this helps a little.
QuestionWhat is the duration of battery life, hours in use? Is it charged through the USB port? Thank you
- Answer Zero hours seeing that it does not have a battery. However it does receive power via the USB port.
QuestionWe currently have Wow internet. We would like to replace the router they are providing. We currently have wifi & stream Netflicks on our smart DVD player & Mac. We also have 2 iPhones. Will this work as a replacement? If not what do we need? Thanks
- Answer If your existing router is both a router and a modem combined in one unit, then no, this cannot fully replace it. However, if you have a separate modem from your existing router, then this router should be able to replace your existing router just fine.
QuestionI have AT&T for internet. I just got a new HP Laptop. Besides the AT&T modem, HP says I need a wireless router. Will this one do the job?
- Answer If your AT&T modem does not already supply a WiFi connection, then yes, you can install this router in conjunction with your AT&T modem to provide your home with WiFi.
QuestionI have an existing Netgear booster in my house, but the signal does not reach upstairs for my smartcast tv. Can I use another one upstairs, without interference?
- Answer You can install this travel router in WiFi extender or Access Point mode, depending on your particular needs, to extend your existing network connection.
- Answer The TL-WR902AC does not provide its own Internet connection; it must be connected to an existing Internet source via WiFi or Ethernet in order to provide Internet connectivity to your device(s). Regards, TP-Link Support
- Answer Potentially; however, if you want Internet connectivity, the router must be wired to an existing Internet source via Ethernet cable. Regards, TP-Link Support