Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $569.99
The regular price is $599.00
QuestionCan this laptop be a Full Substitute for a Windows PC/Laptop? meaning can I use it for Banking, Outlook, Office 360, and store my files safely? will it open Adobe PDF'S?
- Answer It depends by what you mean by full substitute. You should clearly think through your use case before switching operating systems. It will run Microsoft apps from the google play store or office 360 online. You can also use online banking and check book apps from google play store. You can run most media apps with no problem (notable exception - iTunes, although you can run Apple Music if you are willing to ‘sideload’, but this is a hack). Chrome will open PDF’s with a Chrome extension. You can store files locally, but the Chromebook user should think in terms of using google drive as default storage, with internal storage used for files needed for offline access. And don’t let the 64GB of internal storage deter you. This Chromebook also features a micro SDcard slot so you can easily add storage by inserting a micro SDcard. BE AWARE THAT PRINTERS are a special subject in the Chrome OS world. Make sure you are aware of your options if you intend to print from a Chromebook.
QuestionI understand you can not load Office onto this but can you open / edit an Office file if it is in say OneDrive?
- Answer You actually can use Office 365 with a Chromebook, as well as the Office apps from the Google Play store.
QuestionI was going to buy one to day until I started reading reviews about the fans how bad are they? Thanks
- Answer It has a core i3 processor that does have a cooling fan, unlike a lot of other Chromebook models which use fanless core M or celeron processors. So far the fan is the one thing I haven't been thrilled with on this computer. It's not terribly loud, and it doesn't run all the time, but it also doesn't take very long of using the computer for the fan to come on. Like I said, it's not all that loud, so really this has been a minor inconvenience rather than a dealbreaker, although that's definitely more of a personal preference thing. Overall I've been really pleased with this model- the core i3-8130u is crazy fast (faster than the fanless models used on most Chromebooks- that's the trade-off!), and this model might have the nicest trackpad and keyboard I've ever used on a laptop, period.
QuestionDoes the keyboard backlight turn off? Is it always on during the day? Can you toggle how bright it is?
- Answer The keyboard backlight can be turned on or off using the Alt-Bright key combination. It has several levels of brightness that it cycles through with each press of the Bright key (the same key used to increase screen brightness, but combined with Alt to control the backlighting).
- Answer This is a capacitive touch screen so most stylus will work but you can just as easily use your finger most of the time. Wacom makes very nice ones or Insignia makes nice ones that are a bit less expensive with a bigger tip.
QuestionIs this chromebook fanless?
- Answer If you didn't tell me it had a fan, I wouldn't know. The machine's latest-generation Intel Core i3 processor, plus improved thermal management and metallic construction mean that the fan rarely runs at more than a whisper. I would definitely not worry about it.
QuestionDoes the following quote mean that the SD card cannot be used as expanded storage, ie., can you, or can you not, install apps on an SD card with this device? It says: "Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer"
- Answer The HP x360 currently (Feb 2019) runs Chrome OS version 72, which does not (yet) support running apps off of the SD card. That capability is said to be in the dev channel now, at least for Android apps. With 64Gb of internal memory (52 Gb free for user to use), you've got a lot of space to install apps and extensions on this Chromebook. The SD card can house nearly all app data like email, photos, audio files, video files etc. And of course, when you buy one of these, Google gives you two years of 100Gb storage on your Google Drive.
QuestionBest Buy, this looks like the incorrect listing. This laptop just came out. Why does it have 1,400 reviews? This has a 10th gen processor that just came out, but the reviews are over 1 year old?
- Answer Zach, I totally agree. I'm sure BBY knows the situation because they do it quite often. They're only matching reviews by description; ideally, for more accuracy Best Buy should match reviews and Q&A by sku numbers.
QuestionIs this compatible with a stylus pen? I noticed under features it lists stylus pen, but has it marked as not included. I just want to ensure that one can be used with it.
- Answer Let me amend the previous answer. You can use it with a *passive* or *capacitive* stylus but NOT an active stylus (one that requires a battery).
I would recommend:
QuestionWould I be able to download microsoft office to this laptop, and use microsoft word and PowerPoint?
- Answer Chromebooks will not run Office like a standard PC, you would have to use either the online version of Office or the Android Apps.
- Answer This model does not have an HDMI port, It has a USB and USB-C, either of which can be used with an adapter to HDMI.
- Answer It is not compatible with a pixelbook pen, I Have one and tried it.
- Answer It's pretty thin but a bit heavy to use in tablet mode one handed - can be done in portrait mode though. I don't have a caliper (or the laptop with me at work) to get the exact measurements but you should be able to find the specs on HP's website.
- Answer It is a very crisp slate blue, built with aluminum details for strong, premium aesthetics :)
QuestionI just got this computer and was trying to use the camera for a zoom call. The light was red where the camera is located. However the screen is black and no one can see me. Could the camera be faulty or another issue I'm not aware of?
- Answer On the left side of this HP Chromebook 14C-CA0053DX, there is a webcam privacy switch. To turn off the camera, slide the camera privacy switch toward the display. To turn on the camera, slide the camera privacy switch toward the front of the computer. If need further assistance, visit https://support.hp.com or reach out to the Geek Squad at Best Buy.
QuestionI just received this Chromebook for my son who will be using this for school Zoom meetings. Why am I getting an error when I search for the Zoom Cloud Meetings in the Google Play store “Your device isn’t compatible with this version”?
- Answer Good question. The app is not in the Google Play app store. Zoom is a web app for Chromebooks (basically a web page that runs in its own window). Hop onto Chrome and head over to the Google Chrome store and search for Zoom!
- Answer Until June 2024 you'll get direct updates from Google
QuestionThis was asked twice and there were 2 different answers. So, can you use a pen with this Chromebook? Does it support pen input?
- Answer Sorry for the confusion. However, there is only one answer that has been given, before and currently ... it does NOT support a PEN. A pen is a hard-tipped type of stylus that is designed to mimic an actual pen-to-paper experience. It is compatible with certain computers including many of our x360 products, but not standard laptop form factors such as this. This Chromebook WILL, however, support a standard rubber capacitive stylus, as has been mentioned several times. This standard rubber stylus (the same one that works on any capacitive touchscreen device, including a phone) is NOT classified as a pen. Hope that clarifies things for you!