Questions & Answers
QuestionWhat's the difference between this and the GL850-B? All the specs look the same, only difference I see is the name GN850 instead of GL850
- Answer Hi Jason. The "N" in the model number for the LG 27'' UltraGear™ QHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Model # 27GN850-B identifies its year of development as 2020 and the "L" in the model number for the LG 27GL850 27'' UltraGear™ Nano IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor with G-Sync® Compatibility identifies it as a 2019 model. The differences between the monitors is that the 2020 model does not have the USB Up-Stream (ver 3.0) and 2 x USB Down-Stream (ver 3.0) ports...^IFV
- Answer Hi Jon. The LG 27'' UltraGear™ QHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Model # 27GN850-B will support 2560 x 1440 @144Hz, 120Hz, 75Hz or 60Hz over HDMI...^IFV
QuestionIs there any quality difference on the panels between the Gl850 model and the GN850 model ? Or is it just the year and the usb differences?
- Answer The LG UltraGear 27" IPS LED QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatible Monitor with HDR, Model # 27GN850-B and Model # 27GL850-B both use the same IPS panel...^IFV
QuestionDoes 4k or HDR have the larger impact on picture quality. Monitors with both seem excessively high and neither tech is new. My 55" TV wasn't that high in price and it has both.
- Answer The HDR on this monitor is technically there but you will not be able to notice it. Plus the 1ms thing, while technically achievable is of no use in games because of picture distortion. The real number whilst still being able to see everything properly is around 4.65ms which is still pretty impressive. Lastly there is a huge difference between 4k and 1440p on a large tv screen, there is not on a 27 inch monitor. 1440p looks amazing on a good monitor like this one. Just forget about HDR on this monitor, it's not happening.
QuestionThis monitor have hdmi 2.1 port?
- Answer No, this has HDMI 2.0, which is sufficient because it’s only a 1440 display. HDMI 2.1 is for up to 4k at 120hz or 8k at 60hz with high dynamic range support. If you’re getting a 4k/8kdisplay, then absolutely make sure it has HDMI 2.1, but for this monitor, it’s not needed to use max spec capability of the monitor.
QuestionDoes this monitor pair well with a RTX 2070 Super while using its display port for 144hz 1440p gaming?
- Answer Yes I have it paired with a 2070 and the G-sync compatibility is smooth as butter. You can check some reviews online for the 27GL850 as it's the same panel the GN850 just lost the USB ports.
QuestionIs this monitor capable of doing 120Hz at 1440P across HDMI? I bought this monitor for my Xbox One X and the new Xbox Series X but it won’t let me run 1440P at 120Hz. The specifications online says that it is capable of 144Hz at 1440P across the HDMIs?
- Answer I got this figured out. You have to disable free sync in monitor and use an hdmi 2.0 or 2.1 and it will work on Xbox One X and S at 120Hz at 1440P.
QuestionI got the monitor today and am very pleased with picture. I noticed that Windows detected it as the old GL850 model. The box said GN850 and the back of the monitor shows it's a GN850. Why didn't LG update the firmware to reflect new model number?
- Answer Sounds like LG being lazy. This has the nano display compared to the GL model..... it would be nice for LG to provide specific firmware for the GN850 over the GL.
QuestionCan this monitor do 1440p 120hz with freesync enabled over hdmi. Looking to use it with Xbox one x. I have the lg gl83a and that cannot do it with freesync.
- Answer Hi Jon. The LG UltraGear 27" IPS LED QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatable Monitor with HDR will support 2569 x 1440 @ 144Hz, 120Hz, 75Hz or 60Hz, but it has a FreeSync range of 48-144 via DisplayPort™, and 48-100Hz via HDMI®...^IFV
QuestionDo you know if external LED lights (power LED?) on the back of the monitor are supposed to work if monitor is VESA mounted and power LED option is ON in the OSD menu? Or it is only working if stand is attached?
- Answer The LG 27'' UltraGear™ QHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Model # 27GN850-B does not have Sphere Lighting in the back. The red ring in the back does not light up. Only models with Sphere Lighting have LEDs that light up...^IFV
- Answer This monitor is a 2020 version of the LG 27GL850 which is widely regarded on review sites as one of the best 1440p/144Hz monitors around. Supposedly there are only slight differences between the GL from 2019 and this GN from 2020.
QuestionIs 1440P supported? I can’t set the resolution to 2560x1440P. 2560x1440 (native resolution) shows up in the list of available resolutions but not 1440P. PC is high end. Using DP and aspect ration 16:9. Monitor is set to “Full Wide”.
- Answer Just as 1920 x 1080 is shortened to 1080p, the native resolution of 2560 x 1440 on the 27'' UltraGear™ QHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Model # 27GN850-B can also be shortened as 1440p and it is a progressive scan, not interlaced...^IFV
- Answer I've seen complaints online that the cable is subpar, and that you probably want to buy a VESA-certified 1.4 cable if you have a graphic card that supports it. I'm presently using it with DP 1.2, and it's fine for that, but it could be troublesome at 1.4 speeds. The stock cable is also shortish, I think about 6 feet, so buying a longer 1.4 might be a good idea anyway.
QuestionIs it possible to hook up my Switch AND ps5 to this monitor or will i need additional accessories like a splitter?
- Answer You can hook up any device with an HDMI cable. A Switch or PS5 will work great. However, for the best experience with a PS5, I would recommend a 4k capable monitor. But if you want smother gameplay over awesome graphics, then definitely get a higher refresh rate monitor like this one at 144hz
- Answer No, this monitor does not mount vertically. Please seek recommendations/opinions at https://lgcommunity.us.com. The LG Community Forum is a great resource for getting help from other LG customers. ^Daphane