Questions & Answers
QuestionI have the xm3's, and I was wondering what the differences in tech they had and is it even worth it? They look the exact same.
- Answer A few differences. 1.) Speak to Chat feature. When you talk, the headphones will automatically pause the music, so you can chat without touching any controls. 2.) They have improved the noise cancelling especially at high frequencies like human voices, great for office. 3.) 5 Microphones for better call quality. 4.) Slightly larger and deeper ear pads. 5.) Multipoint connection support. Can now connect to 2 devices at same time 6.) Bluetooth 5.0 support.
- Answer I ordered on the 8th, the page said it would ship by the 14th, it is now the 16th and the order says delayed. I went with Best Buy because the ship date was a week before everybody's goto online retailer's release date of the 21st. As of the 16th, their release date has moved up to the 18th while Best Buy just says they'll cancel the order if it doesn't ship by the 22nd. I would buy from a more reliable retailer.
QuestionOne of my biggest pet peeves with headphones I have had is that I cannot charge them while I am using them. Can these be charged while in use so I don't have to interrupt what I'm listening to?
- Answer Considering that the included charging cord is only 8 inches long, I suspect you cannot use them while listening to them. I went and got a longer cord and my suspicions were correct, they will not turn on when plugged into a charger. Ten minutes on a charger gives you five hours of listening time, so I don't think it is too much of an issue for most people.
QuestionHow durable are these? The ear padding on my Bose quiet comfort 35 2 headphones just split open and fell apart in an unbelievable short period of time. I'm very reluctant to spend that kind of money again on headphones that just fall apart.
- Answer I had the same issue with QC35 (none Bluetooth). Never did with QC35 2’s. I will say this the leatherette of fue Sony’s doesn’t seem as high quality as the leatherette of fue Bose 700’s. It just feels more plastic Iike, and it attracts oils from the face quite easily. As for durability, it’s early to tell, but I’ve never heard about Sony’s fraying (not with the M3’s). Stands to reason this is the same for rue M4’s.
QuestionI always wanted to buy the mx3 but they weren’t sweat resistant which sucks because I would like to use these to workout so will these be sweat resistant?
- Answer No, they are not sweat resistant. Sony does NOT cover damage caused by perspiration in their Limited Warranty. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4599/40e69626689f987e884c7569427d0ed8/45991062M.pdf (found under https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-headphones/wh-1000xm4#manuals) Under Sony's warranty it says: "This Limited Warranty does not cover products purchased from sources other than Sony or a Sony authorized dealer (including non-authorized online auctions), or issues due to:... (vii) contact with liquid, heat, humidity or perspiration, sand, smoke, or foreign materials" With that said, there are people that have no issues with sweat (even excessive sweat) while wearing them. So it's up to your discretion. But just be aware that Sony has covered their behinds if something goes wrong with your headphones since their exclusion of coverage is in writing. They won't replace it or service it for you for free.
- Answer I tested this just now with my XM4. They do NOT work with the PS4 via bluetooth. You'll get an error message saying "Bluetooth audio devices are not supported on the PS4" You can use them wired when connected to your DualShock 4 controller using the speaker cable but the microphone will NOT work. Only game audio.
QuestionJust picked these up this morning. Used them for atleast 5 hours now and they have started to go bad. The right ear cuff has a crazy static/popping noise. Sounds like someone is making coffee type of noise. Anyone else having this issue?
- Answer Yeah, I am also having this issue. I am planning to exchange mine for another pair. I had the XM3s for 2 years and never had this issue (people report that this issue was also present with the XM3s), so I'm hoping it's bad luck with this pair.
QuestionDo these offer multipoint bluetooth connectivity? If I'm listening to music on my phone and receive an incoming call on my laptop, would I be able to switch? Thanks!
- Answer It should switch automatically. You need to enable multiple device support via Sony Headphones Connect app.
QuestionHow is it charged?
- Answer This is a very complicated question as it requires a long journey to Mordor to succeed. Industrious gnomes have provided a small USB-C cable which must be inserted into a great source of power. On your journey to Mordor you will be presented with many obstacles to prevent you from succeeding - do I have an adapter, what do I put the headphones on while charging, do I want my headphones playing if I plug into a computer, is three inches really a long enough cord. Ultimately I know you will succeed but it will require effort on your part
Questionare they compatible with PS4?
- Answer It comes with a cord that you can plug into the controller and gets you sound, but I couldn’t get it to let me use the mic. Might have to add a V-moda Boom pro with it. Its on my list to try. I heard with works with the last version. Other wise the sound was pretty great when playing COD.
QuestionHow well do these perform on zoom calls in noisy environments? I'm WFH and my current headset picks up other voices in the home as well as dog barks more than it picks up my own voice. Looking for something better.
- Answer Hi Nester, Thank you for your inquiry! The noise-cancelling function is effective in low-frequency ranges such as airplanes, trains, offices, near air-conditioning, and is not as effective for higher frequencies, such as human voices. Although noise is reduced such as dog barks, it is not completely cancelled. I hope this helps! -Carl
QuestionAre the earcups replaceable?
- Answer Hi TexasKolache, Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the earpads are can be replaced. Please refer to this link for more information: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/wireless-headphones-bluetooth-headphones/wh-1000xm4/articles/00231437 Regards, Sam
- Answer Yes, paired mine with Samsung Galaxy phone, no problem.
- Answer Yes they do have heavy bass , in perfect harmony of sound for any kind of gaming or for movies or for music , from day to day use
- Answer It will depend on which model TV and what the purpose is, however I can confirm a few things for you: Yes, it can connect via bluetooth to a Sony Bravia X950G TV, however you will need to play with the settings to get the audio to sync up more closely to the video. This is fine for something like TV/movie watching, however for gaming the sync will create a noticeable delay and your controller inputs would be off.
- Answer Hi Bryce, Great news! These headphones can be connected to the Sony X950H TV via Bluetooth. Thanks for your interest in the WH1000XM4 headphones. ~Ralph
QuestionWhat is the ideal transmitter for a TV that doesn't have bluetooth? Shortest lag, etc. I don't have a sound bar and just want to transmit to headphones.
- Answer Hi Jill, thanks for your inquiry about the WH1000XM4 headphones. Sony doesn't manufacture a dedicated Bluetooth headphone transmitter for TVs. Third-party devices may work. However, the full operation is not guaranteed. As an alternative, you can use the supplied headphone cable and connect it to the headphone jack of the TV is available. ~Ralph