SIX STEPS TO KEEPING YOUR DATA SAFE
The following security tips can help you keep your data safe from an internal malfunction or an external invasion.
- Use proactive software protection. Anti-malware software is a basic requirement for initial protection on all computers.
- Install effective virus and spyware protection software to prevent viruses and spyware from creeping into your computer, degrading performance and corrupting or destroying data.
- Use a firewall to assist in blocking dangerous programs, viruses or spyware before they infiltrate your system. Various software companies offer firewall protection, but hardware-based firewalls, like those frequently built into network routers, provide a better level of security.
- Be cautious of suspicious e-mails from unknown sources. Don't open e-mails with attachments if you don't know the sender.
- Stay away from rogue websites that can contain spyware. One way to keep your information safe is to ensure the code prefix https:// starts the URL address when visiting banking sites, entering your credit card data or accessing your e-mail.
- Keep your operating system up to date by installing any recent updates or fixes.