HOW TO SET UP YOUR SONY PLAYSTATION 4
In this video, we'll show you how to get your PS4 up and running.
Note: Don't throw away the box your PS4 came in. It's designed to be used as a carrying case so you can transport your console safely.
Connect the Console to Your TV
- Connect the included HDMI cable to your TV and the PS4's HDMI Out port
- Connect your console to your cable or satellite box
- Unplug the existing HDMI cable connecting your cable or satellite box to the TV and plug it into the PS4's HDMI In port
- Plug the PS4 into a power source
- Power on the PS4
- Plug the controller into the PS4 using the included Micro USB cable
- Press the PS button on the controller to pair it with your PS4
Connect to the Internet
Note: For a smooth gaming experience, we recommend directly connecting your PS4 to your router or modem with an Ethernet cable. If you decide to use Wi-Fi, simply follow the steps below.
- From the Home screen, press the up button on your controller to display the top navigation bar
- Go to the Settings menu on the top navigation bar
- Select Network
- Select Set Up Internet Connection
- Select Use Wi-Fi
- Select Easy
- Find your network from the displayed list
- Enter the password for your network using the keyboard display on your screen, then select OK
- When the option appears to use a proxy server, select Do Not Use
- Select Test Internet Connection to run a test that makes sure you're connected properly
- Once you're connected, you can back out of this menu by pressing the circle button on your controller until you're back to the Home screen
Once you've connected your console to the Internet, create a PlayStation Network account and password. Pick a strong password, but make sure it's easy for you to remember.
Note: If you already have a PlayStation Network account — if you're upgrading from a PS3, for example — you can use that account to login without having to create a new one.
At this point, your console will take a few minutes to automatically download and install any necessary updates.
A PlayStation Plus membership will let you get the most out of your PS4's online capabilities. This membership allows you to play your games online, get exclusive discounts and free games, and more. At Best Buy, you can buy PlayStation Plus subscriptions in a variety of durations, from 3 months to 2 full years.