HOW TO SET UP YOUR XBOX ONE
In this video, we walk you through the Xbox One's setup process.
Note: Don't throw away the box your Xbox One came in. It's designed to be used as a carrying case so you can transport your console safely.
Connect the Console to Your TV
- Connect the included HDMI cable to your TV and the Xbox One's HDMI Out port
- Connect your console to your cable or satellite box
- Unplug the existing HDMI cable connecting your cable or satellite box to the TV and plug it into the Xbox's HDMI In port
- Plug the Xbox One into a power source
- Put batteries in the controller
- Power on the controller and console
Connect to the Internet
Note: For a smooth gaming experience, we recommend directly connecting your Xbox One to your router or modem with an Ethernet cable. If you decide to use Wi-Fi, simply follow the steps below.
- During the setup process, your Xbox will ask you Which of these is yours?
- Select Add wireless network
- Select your network from the displayed list
- Enter the password for your network using the keyboard display on your screen, then select Enter
- If the connection is successful, your Xbox One will tell you You are connected
- Press Continue and the Xbox One setup process will continue
Once you've connected your console to the Internet, create an Xbox Live account and password. Pick a strong password, but make sure it's easy for you to remember.
Note: If you already have an Xbox Live account — if you're upgrading from an Xbox 360, for example — you can use that account to login without having to create a new one.
At this point, your console will take a few minutes to automatically download and install any necessary updates.
Xbox Live Gold
An Xbox Live Gold membership will let you get the most out of your Xbox One's online capabilities. This membership allows you to play your games online, create parties and use party chat, get discounts on games, and more. At Best Buy, you can buy Xbox Live Gold subscriptions in a variety of durations, from a single month to a full year.