Ratings & Reviews
- Additional Special Features:
- Filmmaker commentaries, New Zealand: home of Middle-earth parts 1-3 and more!
- Hear the most memorable stories from production as key scenes are filmed. watch as new creatures and a complex cinematic battle are created, then learn what made these films special for cast and crew.
- See key sequences as they're blocked and shot, and enjoy stories from the set. meet new characters and creatures, hear the brilliant score, and watch Smaug and the realms of Middle-earth evolve into 3D.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey extended edition includes:
- The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies extended edition includes:
- The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug extended edition includes:
- The appendices parts 11 and 12
- The appendices parts 7 and 8
- The appendices parts 9 and 10
- Visit dwarf boot camp, live alongside the filmmakers, and talk to the geniuses at Weta Digital. explore characters, designs, sets and Middle-earth from concept to stunning New Zealand locations.
Peter Jackson takes cues from the appendices of The Lord of the Rings to expand New Line Cinema's Hobbit adaptation with this third film completing the epic tale of Bilbo Baggins, as played by Martin Freeman. The story opens to find the vengeful dragon Smaug (voice of Benedict Cumberbatch) decimating the peaceful hamlet of Laketown as Bilbo, Thorin (Richard Armitage) and the rest of the dwarves lay claim to the Lonely Mountain. But their celebration is short-lived as Thorin grows obsessed with finding the Arkenstone. Meanwhile, Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) Elrond (Hugo Weaving) and Saruman (Christopher Lee) battle the Nazgul in an attempt to free Gandalf (Ian McKellen), and get some unexpected help from eccentric wizard Radagast (Sylvester McCoy). Unfortunately for all involved the struggle has only just begun, because as armies of dwarves, elves, orcs, humans and goblins converge at the base of the Lonely Mountain, the fight for the future of Middle Earth begins. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) joins Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and a band of dwarves led by the brave Thorin (Richard Armitage) on a treacherous quest to reclaim their mountain home from the fierce dragon Smaug in this epic fantasy adventure adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved novel by the creative forces behind the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Long before Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood) made his arduous journey to Mordor, his brave uncle Bilbo embarked on an adventure for the ages. Bilbo's story gets under way when the great wizard Gandalf appears at his front gate with a most unusual offer. Displaced from their massive fortress in the Lonely Mountain by Smaug - a greedy dragon who coveted their gold - a community of noble dwarves were decimated by a surprise attack by monstrous orcs, whose dreaded leader the Pale Orc slew their king in a gruesome battle. Now, Thorin, the descendent of the king, is determined to reclaim his mountain kingdom for his people. Together with a fearless team of dwarves, Thorin and Gandalf recruit Bilbo to aid them in their quest since Hobbits have the unique ability to go undetected when they wish to. Before Bilbo, Gandalf, and the dwarves can reach The Lonely Mountain and defeat Smaug, however, they'll have to contend with trolls, goblins, stone giants, Gollum (Andy Serkis), and even the dreaded Pale Orc himself. Peter Jackson directs a screenplay he co-penned with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Guillermo del Toro. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage), his mighty band of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman), and wise wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) embark on a crusade to reclaim Erebor from the vicious dragon Smaug (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch) in this sweeping fantasy adventure that picks up where the events of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey left off. Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) once again directs from a screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Guillermo del Toro. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
Cast & Crew
- Martin Freeman - Bilbo Baggins
- Ian McKellen - Gandalf
- Richard Armitage - Thorin Oakenshield
- Elijah Wood - Frodo Baggins
- Ian Holm - Bilbo Baggins (old)