Stand out on HD video calls backed by Studio Mics. Capture ideas on the vibrant PixelSense touchscreen. Surround yourself with immersive, theater-like Dolby Atmos audio⁶. Do it all with a perfect balance of sleek, ultra-thin design, and more speed, now up to 70% faster – with significantly longer battery life than before¹. Two sizes. Two keyboard finishes. Plus, choice of 11th Gen Intel Core or exclusive AMD Ryzen Microsoft Surface Edition processors².
Family, friends, passions, music, creations – Windows 11 is the one place for it all. With a fresh new feel and tools that make it easier to be efficient, it has what you need for whatever’s next.
Get the most out of your screen space
Choose 13.5” for the perfect balance of productivity and portability; or 15” for the best streaming, split-screen multitasking, and gaming experiences. The Surface signature 3:2 ratio gives you the most vertical screen real estate on a laptop³.
11th Gen Intel Core processor
Power to do what you want with up to 70% more speed than before and an 11th Gen Intel Core processor.
8GB system memory for advanced multitasking
Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.
512GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
Expansive SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery. Holds your growing collection of digital photos, music and videos.
Make it your own
Slim, sleek design with rich tone-on-tone colors in warm Alcantara material or cool metal finish. Choose from new Ice Blue, plus Sandstone, Matte Black, and Platinum².
Intel Iris Xe Graphics
Integrated graphics provides everyday image quality for Internet use, video streaming and casual gaming.
Improved all-day battery life
Go from low battery to full faster with Fast Charging – up to 80% in about an hour⁵. Feel free to move about your home or workspace easily with significantly longer battery life than before¹.
Show your best side on video calls
Sharp video and image quality, even in low light, thanks to a front-facing 720p HD camera and be heard loud and clear with dual far-field Studio Mics that capture your voice and reduce background noise.
Connect in more ways
Plug in the accessories you use today with built-in USB-C and USB-A ports, Surface Connect for charging, and headphone jack.
Built for Windows Ink
With Windows Ink-compatible computers, you can take notes on screen, mark up photos and screen shots, or create content through Ink-enabled apps. Learn more ›
Battery life: Surface Laptop 4 13.5” with Intel Core processor: Up to 17 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing conducted by Microsoft in February 2021 using preproduction software and preproduction 13.5” Intel Core i5, 512GB, 8 GB RAM device.
Surface Laptop 4 13.5” with AMD Ryzen MSFT Surface Edition processor: Up to 19 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing conducted by Microsoft in February 2021 using preproduction software and preproduction 13.5” AMD Ryzen 5 MSFT Surface Edition, 8GB RAM device.
Surface Laptop 4 15” with Intel Core processor: Up to 16.5 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing conducted by Microsoft in February 2021 using preproduction software and preproduction 15” Intel Core i7, 512GB, 16 GB RAM device.
Surface Laptop 4 15” with AMD Ryzen MSFT Surface Edition processor: Up to 17.5 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing conducted by Microsoft in February 2021 using preproduction software and preproduction 15” AMD Ryzen 7 MSFT Surface Edition, 8GB RAM device.
Testing consisted of full battery discharge with a mixture of active use and modern standby. The active use portion consists of (1) a web browsing test accessing 8 popular websites over multiple open tabs, (2) a productivity test utilizing Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, and
(3) a portion of time with the device in use with idle applications. All settings were default except screen brightness was set to 150nits with Auto-Brightness disabled. Wi-Fi was connected to a network. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage and other factors.
²Colors available on selected models only. Available colors, sizes, finishes, and processors may vary by store, market, and configuration. ³Comparison of viewable content on Surface devices with 3:2 aspect ratio v. laptops with 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio.
⁴Surface Laptop 4 for consumers comes with Windows 10 Home to bring you the powerful Windows features you use most at an exceptional value. If you need additional enterprise management and security tools for the workplace, you can switch to Windows 10 Pro.
⁵Testing conducted at Microsoft in February 2021 using pre-production devices and Software. Tested with the inbox PSU under controlled conditions. Device was powered on to desktop screen with default display brightness settings. Actual charge time will vary based on operating conditions.
Measured at typical office ambient temperature of 23C. * Some accessories, software, Microsoft 365 subscriptions, and services sold separately.
This laptop does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive. Intel logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. AMD logos are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
The vast majority of our reviews come from verified purchases. Reviews from customers may include My Best Buy members, employees, and Tech Insider Network members (as tagged). Select reviewers may receive discounted products or points for an honest, helpful review.
Page 1 Showing 1-8 of 368 reviews
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 = absolutely amazing!!
Owned for 1 week when reviewed.
Absolutely thrilled with the new Microsoft Surface Laptop 4! It is THE best Windows laptop on the market currently, nothing even comes close! The other two manufacturer systems, which I also purchased at the same time to test them out all side-by-side for a few days to see which I liked best for day-to-day activity, are already packaged and have been shipped to them. I definitely recommend!
Hi – We're delighted that you're enjoying your new Surface Laptop 4’s performance and speed. We hope it continues to serve you well. Best, Erica Surface Customer Care
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Microsoft Surface Laptop
Owned for 1 week when reviewed.
after a few weeks of use I can conclude that this is a Perfect laptop for a student. The hardware exceeds actual student demands and other unique features make this laptop a great pick!
Microsoft definitely knows how to deliver a quality product.
Aesthetically the laptop has a very smooth matte finish and is overall a user friendly laptop.
Hi – It's great to hear that it’s a good fit for your needs. We hope it continues to serve you well. Best, Erica Surface Customer Care
Rated 1 out of 5 stars
Owned for 1 year when reviewed.
Got this laptop to work form home and the durability is just the worst. My screen cracked from just lifting the screening open, The other problem I been having is that the speaker crack when every I have it at a higher volume. I'm just so disappointed I wanted something different the whole sea of Macbooks, so I saw the surface and just love the look. Unfortunately quality wasn't there. if he really want this laptop I would get the warrant on it that unfortunately I didn't get.
I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about this laptop at first. I felt it was a bit pricey for being only an i5 but I loved how it looked and how compact it was. Well after about a month of using it I would say it was worth it. It’s def windows version of the Mac book. It’s light and sleek and it’s fast for me thus far. Hope that it will last long like a lot of macs do also. Overall I’m impressed with the way the machine works and appreciate its aesthetic and portability!
5 stars for this product! Great keyboards, sleek design, great color, good battery, sensitive touch screen. The laptop adapter has an extra USB type A port which I can use to connect/charge devices.
I would recommend this to a friend
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Sleek and powerful
Unpacking: What's in the box: Laptop, power cord, quick start guide. Well packaged, safe from bumps.
On first impression, the laptop is very sleek and light-weight at 2.8 pounds and measuring just 12.1 x 8.8 x 0.6 inches. I got the Sandstone color and it looks great. The touch-pad is a big 4.5 x 3 inches. The keyboard is regular-sized and easy to type on. It doesn’t have the compressed keyboard that you sometimes find on smaller laptops. That’s a big plus for me. The feel of the computer on the wrist while typing is comfortable. My only complaint upon first impression is that there are not enough ports. Only a USB-A, USB-C, and a headphone jack are available. At least one more USB-A port would be a big improvement. Also, there is no SD card reader port, which can be easily remedied by using a card reader. Both are minor complaints because work-around remedies are cheap and easy by using either adapters or a USB hub/splitter.
Testing the advertised standouts:
• Dolby Atmos® Audio: The theater-like Dolby Atmos audio performed well as long as I didn’t use Firefox. While streaming a movie, the sound would stop after just a few seconds in Firefox. I was using Sling to stream a movie so I got out of the movie and then resumed it and the sound came back on for just a few seconds, then went mute again. After trying this several times, I switched to another browser: MS Edge and it worked fine. Since I prefer Firefox, I wasn’t happy about this issue. However, after doing some research, it appears that this is a known Firefox issue and not a MS Surface issue. There are some patches available that are supposed to fix this, but I didn’t try them yet. Using MS Edge, I watched movies and listened to music on the laptop and thought the sound quality was excellent. When listening to quality music, I noticed the balance of the bass tones and was pleased with the sound. Later, I tested with Internet Explorer and Chrome and the audio was fine.
• Sleek, ultra-thin design: I loved the weight and sleek design. I have to agree with this stand out! This is a huge deal for me. I love to travel and this will be a wonderful change for my carry-on bag!
• More speed, 70% faster: The speed seemed fine to me, but I don’t really have the ability to test this because I don’t have the other devices with which to compare the speed.
• Significantly longer battery life: Although advertised at 19 hours, the battery life lasted 13 hours the first day and 15 hours the next day. It all depends on what you are doing on it. The 15 hr day included watching 2 movies, listening to music, working on documents and spreadsheets, browsing the Internet, and getting on social media. The 13 hour day was about the same (including streaming two movies) except I spent more time during the evening on the laptop. Both days, I started with a fully charged battery and kept the laptop on constantly and didn’t let it go into sleep mode or hibernation. I kept the screen bright. I would say that this laptop would definitely stay charged during a full 9 hour office day with constant use. Still an impressive amount of time!
• The 3:2 display aspect ratio is excellent for office work, making more of my spreadsheets and documents visible. The size of the display was still large enough to also enjoy the movies and videos I watched.
• Magnetic Surface Connector for charging: I love this connector. First of all, because it is magnetic, it is so easy to connect. Secondly, the 90 degree angle of the cord makes me feel that the cord will last for a very long time because it won’t be getting bent constantly. Although, I will probably just charge the laptop at night and use the battery during the day, I did keep it plugged in the first day. The cord came unattached once when I was moving the laptop from my lap to a table and not noticing that the cord was getting caught on something, so you’ll need to watch that. I really like that the cord came unattached instead of it getting bent and pulled on. That should make it last much longer. I may never need to replace it at all.
• The touch screen worked great and responded quickly. There was no lag time at all that I noticed. I was pleased with the response.
• Web cam – I didn’t attend any meetings or use Skype or Zoom during my testing of this laptop, but I did switch the web cam on and found the image quality to be very good.
Bottom line: If you are looking for a laptop requiring a lot of storage for image files and numerous ports for peripherals, this probably isn’t the one for you, but if you want a laptop for basic office work (spreadsheets, documents, etc.) or Internet browsing, and social media use, this laptop definitely fits the bill. Its powerhouse battery, sleek design, and light weight make it ideal for most users. The 512GB hard drive and 8mb memory should be plenty large enough to handle your needs. You can easily put it in your backpack and carry it around with you; then take it out at a coffee house, office, meeting room, airport, plane, living room, etc. and feel assured that you will have enough battery to last for a long time.
Hi Marilyn – Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback on your new Surface laptop 4. It's great to hear that its thin profile, Dolby Atmos speakers, and long battery life make it a good fit for your needs. We hope you continue to enjoy using it. Best, Erica Surface Customer Care
The analysis of all aggregated expert reviews shows that the reviewers are positive about sound, image quality, touchpad and reliability. Editors are less positive about price and have mixed opinions about size. Using an algorithm based on product age, reviewers ratings history, popularity, product category expertise and other factors, this product gets an alaTest Expert Rating of 91/100 = Excellent quality.
TechRadarRating, 4.5 out of 54.5Jackie Thomas on September 22, 2021
Review: AMD's impact on Surface Laptop 4 (15") makes a big differenceSurface Laptop 4 gets a significant boost in performance thanks to AMD Ryzen R7, but there are also many qualifications to that statement. While it's easier to recommend the 15-inch 2021 model, Microsoft could still do better with this series
NotebookcheckRating, 4.3 out of 54.3Andreas Osthoff on May 13, 2021
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 13 Laptop Review - Too expensive with Intel CPU?Notebookcheck reviews the Surface Laptop 4 13.5 with Core i7 CPU and metal chassis. Is the CPU upgrade enough to be competitive?
Pocket-lintRating, 4.5 out of 54.5Mike Lowe on June 22, 2021
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 review: The best Windows laptop money can buy?Although its upgrades over the third-gen model are modest, the fourth-gen Surface Laptop could well be the best Windows laptop you can buy.
SlashGearRating, 4 out of 54.0Chris Davies on May 26, 2021
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 (13-inch) ReviewThere's no shortage of Windows 10 laptops, and plenty of high-end, design-led choices there too, yet Microsoft's Surface Laptop 4 still stands out. For this fourth-generation there̵