Questions & Answers
- Answer yes you have full access from your phone you can call the police from the canary site or set off an alarm if you see an intruder, right from the site. you can turn it on or off. you can give other people temp access while you are away, also. great if you have pets, you can check no them ....
- Answer No, it keeps records for twelve hours during which you can download them. For $50 a year you can have 48 hours if you need it. Other plans are also available, but you can stick with the free plan if 12 hours is sufficient.
- Answer Hi Crazyhorselady, Thanks for your question. We recommend that Canary be connected to standard home broadband internet. Canary is not supported for use with Verizon MiFi or similar products. If you have further questions, please feel free to reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 1-888-271-0121 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. - Matt from Canary
QuestionCan someone explain how easy/difficult it is to delete recorded info from the cloud? I don't want to purchase additional storage & instead would like to delete stored info if it's not relevant so that I can reuse the free cloud storage over and over.
- Answer It doesn't work that way. The recorded activity will delete after a set time frame dependent on how many units you have. If you want to save recorded events you need to save it to your PC. If you own one Canary they give 24 hours on the timeline free. But if you own two they penalize you and only give 12 hours free, the 24 hours is shared between the number of Canary's used. So the more you spend the less time allowed. Doesn't make sense to me but that is what I learned the hard way. One would think it would be 24 hours allowed no matter how many purchased that would be shared time if you own two or more.
QuestionDoes the Canary system monitor windows and/or glass breaking. I’m imagining an intruder breaking through a window, and because I already have a Schlage Sense smart lock and the Ring doorbell, the windows are my only concern. If it does, sold.
- Answer Absolutely NOT. Let me tell you--as a Canary product owner (for over a year)--security is almost a false claim. It definitely will not detect breached entry-points. It also will do almost nothing that it's marketing sales-pitch claims (anymore), without a premium paid monthly subscription. And, unfortunately the quality of the service isn't even worth the money. There is--which is commonly reported all over the Internet--consistent and unacceptable lag of up to 10 seconds. This lag is even when simply opening the app to simply see one of your cameras; literally 10-15 seconds of wait time and buffering. Even on Wi-fi. It's literally terrible and ruins the experience. and the delay lag is typically about 3-7 seconds of live video. It's all awful and completely unacceptable when there's competitors like Netgear's Arlo available for years with solid reviews and completely competitive storage plans--even for FREE users! After spending $400, and then finding I was completely lied to and bait-and-switched by Canary, I am so eager to help others from making the same mistake! Hope this helps!
- Answer They change their policy as to how much recording you can have unless you pay a monthly fee. When I first bought it they allowed 24 hours of recording. It recording in the night mode and away mode. They changed it to 12 hours. Then they changed it to no recording in night mode. Now it only records in away mode. So it does not record at night unless you remember to set it to away mode. Awful......
- Answer You can only use it indoors. If you want a nice outdoor camera, I think Ring makes the best one. Uses a solar panel to stay charged, and has nice cloud storage features. I think the best combo is to have a good outdoor camera (like Ring), combined with an indoor system like Canary or Piper.
Questioncould this be mounted in an inside window, facing out?Im looking for something to overlook my parking area/back yard, but I dont want to put it outside where it might be seen. Would this work?
- Answer Yes, I have this mounted on my inside window looking outside my door entrance. I am able to see anybody that comes to the door. This has been extremely helpful when a delivery is dropped off on the door.,
QuestionAir quality monitoring question:Says it records air quality such as temperature and humidity and MOLD. How does it monitor mold? What sensor does it use to monitor mold? I have never heard of one before.
- Answer Doesn't look at mold per se. It only looks at humidity, temperature, and particles such as CO/Methane/etc. It doesn't give a precise breakdown either. I think its a bit gimmicky, but some people do take it seriously and have added air filtration systems to their home to get a better air quality score.
QuestionDoes this security system run off WiFi? If so, when the power goes out that means the security system will not work as well, right? Also, can this be mounted on a wall or just table top ?
- Answer Yes it needs WiFi and also plugs into an outlet. Won’t work when power goes out This is for a table or shelf. Does not mount to wall. The smaller Canary flex will run on battery and can be wall mounted. I have that one as well. The picture quality is very good on both units. The notifications are a bit slow maybe 2 minutes later. You just have to consider what you are needing out of a camera system.
Questiondo you have the yellow video cable canary security camera on your store. I'm missing the yellow cable.
- Answer Hi Grace, Canary would be happy to send you a yellow cable for free if you need it (most of our recently manufactured devices can be set up with Bluetooth - details here: https://help.canary.is/hc/en-us/articles/222793128-Can-I-set-up-my-device-with-Bluetooth-). Please email your request to email@example.com with your Name, Address, and the serial number of your Canary device (e.g., C100K1800001). Thanks.
QuestionIs there a way to turn off the light so no one knows it is there while you are monitoring the room?
- Answer apply black tape. electric tape will take care of it.
QuestionDo all necessary items required to set up these cams come with this package? Also can additional cams be added to this system now and/or later? If so, do the cams come in packages greater than 2packs?
- Answer Yes, all the necessary items are included with this system. Yes, you can add additional cameras to this system.
QuestionInterfacing additional monitors for other roomsIs there a feature to connect additional monitors for other rooms ? If there is, where would I go about purchasing the extended product ?
- Answer Hi Arty, Thanks for the question! It's a little hard to know what you mean, but I'll do my best to answer it. If you'd like to monitor other rooms, you can buy additional Canary devices, and they all show up in the app. You can switch between them by swiping. If you're talking about using external sensors, we don't have any products other than the Canary, and third party motion sensors can't interface with it. I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, our Customer Experience team would love to answer them! You can reach them by calling 1-888-271-0121 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. -Matt from Canary
QuestionIs the Canary compatible with Google commands? Can i view the canary screen on my Google Hub?
- Answer Only checking the temperature and air quality. Checking who is home is iffy. Sometimes it works, half of the time it doesn't work.
QuestionAlthough I have a smart phone the phone part is is wifi enabled Magicjack, capable of receiving phone calls or messages. Will Canary work via my smartphone. ?
- Answer I used the WIFI hotspot on my smartphone for my motorhome and it worked fine for leaving it on for about 8 hours. I was actually surprised because I was waiting for it to timeout but it stayed operative. I don't know about your Magicjack though. I don't think the Canary cares who the internet provider is as long as there is an internet connection.