Questions & Answers
QuestionTrying to compare the X4S and AC1900 Nighthawk routers. They are both basically the same price, but X4S has a second USB port, but don't understand if i'm sacrificing speed/reliability for it. What's the difference in layman's terms between the two?
- Answer Right now the X4S is on sale and the same price as the AC1900. The X4S has a 1.7 processor versus 1.0 in the AC1900. As we move towards heavier bandwidth content in video the 1.7 processor will surely benefit you. http://www.netgear.com/landings/nighthawk/?cid=us-nighthawk-srch&utm_source=search&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=q4-us-nighthawk-search&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9A82B-9qdMDdw2khyt1vC_EIhEQW-LrwMbUPiVCeh9saAqo78P8HAQ#compare
QuestionWhat up/down load speeds can I expect to get from this router with a DOCS3.0 modem? (Modem speed 100MBps)
- Answer It will handle whatever you pay for from your ISP. If your plan only supports 30 down 5 up and your ISP actually supplies what you pay for then thats what you'll get. No device can get you faster speeds over what your ISP supplies and you pay for. A lot of people still dont understand this. I can say with my Netgear X8 and my plan from comcast, 130 up and 35 down, I get the best home network ive ever had and it handles multiple devices at any given time with extreme ease. We have 5-10+ devices connected at any given time. But if you dont have as many devices running. 30/5 plan would most likely suffice. I also have the new Netgear 600 modem as well. You want your equipment to work well together and is supported by your ISP.
QuestionI'm wondering if this has the strength (distance coverage), and speed for me in my 2 story, 2500 sq ft house. I'm currently with Spectrum, on the "100mbps," basic plan.
- Answer Yes the Netgear X4S works very well in our Townhouse which is also about 2600 sq ft. We had the Geek squad set it up and I was very pleased with the results.
QuestionI think this is the follow up model to my R7500 Nighthawk. I had that unit replaced once and now this one has died after 20 months of dropped connections that were never an issue for my old router. Did they make improvements to this thing?
- Answer I am not the old version of this one, but this router works just perfect in our household, we have 4 computers, 4 iphones, and not complains anymore about connections and speed.
QuestionHow far will it extend WiFi signal . We have poor reception at opposite end of house from our current router.
- Answer I get a signal outside my house appoximately 50 plus yards! Haven't seen the need to walk down the street to check distance, though!. I get signal second floor and basement, too! I have been very happy with this router!
- Answer There are many contributing factors to high ping, if you have a poor WiFi connect right now then this will likely improve your overall ping as you connection quality improves. If you have a good WiFi connection, though this router is particularly snappy for throughput you are unlikely to be gaining any substantial ping delay with your existing equipment. The largest factor of high ping sits outside your network.
- Answer The Nighthawk can replace fios router by essentially becoming the wifi part of the setup. Turn off all wireless on the fios and let the Nighthawk be the wifi gateway for everything and the fios router becomes just a modem to the internet. Good Luck!
QuestionCan this router replace xfinity modem?do I need to buy a modem as well as this? Trying to get rid of that monthly fee.
- Answer This router doesn't have a modem built-in, so you'd still need that. Netgear does have a line of modem/router combos. If you're using Xfinity's phone service though you'll need modem that's also compatible with the telephony and there aren't many of those.
QuestionI have a Netgear Wifi extender downstairs. I will be setting up this wireless router (X4S) upstairs. I wonder with the potential range of this new router, will i still need to use an extender already in place? Or not ?
- Answer You shouldn’t have to. This works well over 2000 square foot house. Think about your footage.
- Answer I am using this with Arris Surfboard (Motorola), a type that Comcast/xfinity uses, and it is working well
QuestionI have community wifi in my condo development . No modem . Does netgear have anything to boost the weak signal , especially when I'm streaming on my firestick
- Answer You need a range extender or booster but if on a community wifi, you need to make sure that the community system will handle all that is being asked. If the total bandwidth i being exceeded, than everyone is going to slow down and have interruptions.
QuestionWe have a Belkin N600 router, it works well in the rooms close to it but at the other end of the house it doesn't. We have installed Ring and it doesn't support it either. Do we need to upgrade our router or upgrade our internet speed? Thanks a lot.
- Answer We had the same issue and a Belkin router. Not sure if it was an n600. We would lose connections all the time even with the router in the same room. Too many items trying to connect at the same time. Upgraded the router and have never lost a connection again.
QuestionCan I use this for my small business? Currently we use Netgear N600 wireless. We don't connect through a cable connection but through our network. I need a router that will cover more space.
- Answer yes has some fantastic range I can receive signal from it out by the shop on our place with is about 100-125 feet from the house