Questions & Answers
QuestionDo you have to have a roku tv in order to get the box?? Or can you get the box and it will work on any kind of tv?
- Answer It works on any tv that takes hdmi.!!! Bought it for my moms tv that’s an old LG.
- Answer The Roku boxes (and sticks) are just a platform from which you access streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. Those services offer movies and TV shows 'on demand'- some free, some are pay-per-view. There are other new streaming services that offer live TV streaming like Sling TV, Hulu Live TV , Directv Now, YouTubeTV. Most have access to sports channels like ESPN and FoxSports, but you will need to check to see if the streaming service offers the channels you want. Those services range from $20- $60/month depending which bundle you choose. Some offer access to local sports channels, but that is hit and miss. You will need to check that out on their website. Many of the regular TV channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) are available with an OTA antenna through your TV for free. This is dependent on your reception/antenna, and if your TV accepts an OTA connection-- not all do. Most of the streaming services allow watching on different screens like laptops, iPads or smart phones. You will need to check this out on their websites. Also check out how many screens can be used at one time, as this varies from service to service and bundle to bundle.
- Answer Yes, it does. As well as a USB cable to provide power from the TV's USB Port if it has one.
Questionwhat stations can i get and how do i join, also, i now have a bundle with comcast of tv,phone and computer.what i do with these other 2 services?
- Answer Roku allows yo to access 1,000s of apps to stream directly onto your television.
- Answer Not at all likely. Perhaps you can access your local news if you are lucky as there are lots of channels that continually rebroadcast news segments, Nowhereman channel is good for accessing these channels and Roku has a very decent national news channel. But watching whatever is being viewed on abc or cbs right now in real time. No, You can't. Your best bet is to get a quality outdoor HD antenna and use it for local channels (I get over 30 channels in my area) and use this to watch online content. With the digital TV the signal quality is fantastic, BETTER than basic non hd cable in many cases as most mainstream affiliates are broadcasting in 1080 Definition and surround sound. There is plenty of free content channels, you should have no trouble finding something to watch as they have over 1800 channels. Been a Roku user for going on 5 years now and have 3 of them in my house, and I recommend it over every other brand.
QuestionDo the Roku devices come with "YouTube TV" already loaded as an app? If not, do I have to download an app?
- Answer you have to download every app that you want on your Roku. And my advice is to spend the extra twenty bucks and get the better one. The one that is only like $29 is not a very good one. It doesn't have enough speed to keep up with a high speed internet so it is constantly stopping to buffer...and that sucks!
QuestionDoes this work with Spectrun all access ? I have a great LG hi def but not able to download software and they don’t have a clue how to answer my question !! I have an 4 yr old Roku that does not work. Go figure. I can’t receive the connect number for sign
- Answer Works with my spectrum steaming
QuestionCan it work w/o a wireless connection, ie ethernet from wall to box and HDMI from box to tv or does it have to work on wifi.
- Answer It cannot work without a wireless connection. Requires WiFi as there is no ethernet port on the device.
QuestionI have 2 older tv's (not smart tv's) One is upstairs & the main tv is downstairs. Which roku device do I need to get to hook both of them up? Is the roku easy to set up? I am not a technical person.
- Answer Assuming the TV's are new enough (i.e. have HDMI attachments) attaching a Roku Express is a simple process (plug in the provided HDMI cable to the Roku on one end and the TV on the other and select the correct input on the TV). However, barring doing something with a splitter (some of which cost almost as much as a Roku box, and even then you couldn't change channels independently) you will need one Roku box for each of your TV's. Further, it's important that each of them get very good WiFi signal (remember these are Internet devices). I'm reasonably technical but by no means an AV expert, and with good WiFi in place setting up a Roku Express box took about 5 minutes, and figuring out how to set up the first channel besides what's already on the list (you can Google about for a list of some free channels) takes about another minute or so per channel.
- Answer If the app you want is available for Roku you can, I have downloaded the Spectrum TV app.
QuestionDo you have to have tv cable service to use the Roku? isnt all that is required to have house wi-fi? and what are you able to watch if you dont subscribe to netflicks etc.?
- Answer You don't need tv cable service to use it. I don't. It has what's called the Roku channel that has different shows on it. There is a bunch of different options that pops up when you set it up that you can add for free. It will ask for a payment method just in case you buy something that's not free. Hope this helps
QuestionWill this work on an older TV that has no HDMI and only a connection for the Antennae where the Comcast Box is currently plugged in?
- Answer The Roku is designed to work with the HDMI port, but you may still be able to make it work with an adapter that converts to HDMI.
QuestionI have wireless internet do you have to have a smart TV in order to use Roku stick for it to work without apps on it.
- Answer You do not need a smart tv for your roku express as long as you have WiFi that’s all you’ll need. The device will walk you through connecting to your WiFi.
- Answer Yes you can add psvue, that,s the reason i bought it, also it should be upgraded to the latest software which vastly improves the psvue app.
- Answer Acorn TV shows up as a Roku channel. I don't use it, but looks like you can. Any of them will work to watch a channel like that. Just a matter of how nice a quality you need, what the channel supplies, and if you need any special features the more expensive ones have like headphone jacks or whatever.
QuestionWhat is the monthly charge for roku service? I have a TV with rok u built in .Will this device pick up signal ?
- Answer Roku has a bunch of free channels and there is no charge. There are stations that charge a fee and they vary.