Questions & Answers
Your price for this item is $229.99
- Answer Pre-existing wiring is needed.
QuestionDoes the doorbell have to be pressed in order for it to start video recording? Or does it start recording as soon as motion is detected?
- Answer DoubleA, that will largely depend on if you pay for their recording services or not. You get 30 days of Nest Aware for free, and while you have that or any other subscription, it actually records 24 hours a day, but how long that video is kept is dependent on which package you're paying for. You also have some liberties in setting up what you want to be alerted for as the Nest can determine the difference between a person and a pet, and can alert you only if it sees a person nearby, or if it detects any motion at all. If anyone rings it, it will automatically notify you and provide a clip of that person walking up to the door.
QuestionMy existing doorbell is at a height of 40 inches and on a side wall from the door 90 degrees. Will the the nest doorbell at this height and angle be able to capture faces of a person who is 6 feet tall?
- Answer I had the same question and found that Nest recommends 48 inches
QuestionCan two devices access the camera at the same time for example if my kids are home can they see who is at the door at the same time I could see who is at the door?
- Answer Yes , both of you can access it at the same time
QuestionDoes this doorbell use a lot of wifi data? I do not have an unlimited wifi plan so worried if it's constantly recording it will use up a bunch of data.
- Answer You can adjust the data usage and image quality. It ranges from 30gb to 300gb a month based on setting you choose.
QuestionJust got my Nest Hello. Quick question. It rings on all of my Google Home devices (we have 7). Is there a way to specify WHICH Google Home devices it will ring on? Really don't want it ringing in the kids rooms after they've gone to bed
- Answer At this time there isn't a way to specify which Google Homes announce when someone is at the door, but we're working on getting this updated.
QuestionDoes this have simultaneous 2-way audio, or do you have to press a button to talk? I have the August doorbell and you have to push to talk and it works terribly.
- Answer Once the person at the door presses the doorbell, it starts listening. You then get an alert on your phone that you can tap to run the Nest app and view who is at the door. At that point, you can tap the microphone and begin speaking to the person. The person on the outside doesn't need to keep pressing anything, the Nest is listening. The only thing you need to do on your end is activate the microphone with one tap. You can have a conversation with the person at the door. You can then deactivate the mic by tapping the mic button on your phone.
- Answer Yes and no. You don’t have to pay but if you want the camera to record 24/7, then yes you pay. Otherwise it will be just a video doorbell and not a camera that continuously records. I pay $50/yr for 5 days. You could pay $100/yr for 10 days, or $300/yr for 30 days.
QuestionIs this device going to need a different AC transformer then regular doorbells at 10ac? like a 16ac to 24 ac
- Answer Yes it needs between 16v-24v.
QuestionI've seen many complaints about a significant delay between the camera detecting motion and a notification being sent to the user. Is Nest working on reducing this delay to less than about 5 seconds?
- Answer I get immediate notification to my phone, watch, google home hub and google mini immediate. Even when I walk to the mail box, as soon as I appear in the cam, my phone and watch pings me
QuestionWill I be able to view video from the past 24 hours for free. If so I may replace my ring with this device
- Answer If this follows the same principle as the nest cams, you can review "stills" from the past 3 hours. However, adding a nest aware subscription should allow you to be able to review either 10 or 30 days of footage (depending on which subscription you choose). For the 10 day history it is $10 per month for the first camera and $5 for every subsequent camera. A bit on the pricey side but it works and you have full footage rather than just when the camera thinks it detected motion.
- Answer Yes you can if you order direct from google.
QuestionDoes this camera needs to be wired? I need it to be installed outside the apartment door. I do not have anything wired there for any doorbell. I ordered the Ring doorbell and had to return it as Geek Squad told me they cannot drill through the concrete.
- Answer Yes it needs to be wired. Wired off of a doorbell transformer. I have the same issues and hasn't installed mine. Actually thought it was wireless. Guess I didnt read the box.
QuestionIf I have Nest Hello with an Aware subscription, can I access the Aware Cloud to save video segments to a local harddrive? Or am I limited to viewing only? Say I want to save video from an incident at my door beyond the 5/10/30-day storage period.
- Answer Nest Aware comes with a Clip option, allowing you to isolate a particular segment of footage. You create this Clip then can download or share it. However, you have to Clip your footage within the DVR window you're subscribed to otherwise the footage rolls over and is gone.
QuestionIs there value added to installing Nest-Hello if I already have a NestCam Outdoor by my front door?
- Answer Absolutely! I recently swapped out my outdoor cam on my front door for this and am so glad I did! The nest hello has a two way mic/speaker than you don't have to turn on and off to speak with or hear the other person. I moved my outdoor cam to my back porch now so I have twice the security. If deciding between the two, I would easily choose the Hello over just an outdoor camera. Also for me... because of the placement, I get a better view of the street and front yard too. Win win win.
QuestionWill Google Hello do a better job in regards to lag (delay) and motion detection? I had another video doorbell (rhimes with Ding) which could not adequately connect to the wifi, terrable lag, poor motion detection (false alarms and missed live ones).
- Answer This streams and records constantly, so even if you get a late notification, you can go back in 15 second increments and see the whole part of video you wanna see.
QuestionCan I store video to NAS (network attached storage)? If this continuously sends video online to Nest’s cloud, I’ll probably have to pay $50 a month extra for the data to Comcast’s Xfinity. So I need a solution that stores on hard drive at home.
- Answer its going to be an experiment but try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3dOY2zS_Y
- Answer Yes, you can have multiple doorbells, not really sure if there is a limit other than providing power for them.
- Answer Yes, you can add a second back door video doorbell or a stand alone camera to the system.
QuestionDoes the nest hello doorbell work with Alexa? My nest thermostat does, but it seems nest gears you toward google products so I was just wondering. I'm debating between the nest and the ring
- Answer Yes! I can see the front door on my Alexa Show and Spot.