QuestionIf I buy a computer online that can be picked up at Best Buy, can the Geek Squad at the store go ahead and do their basic new computer setup before I drive out to pick it up?
- Answer Thanks for taking the time to post your question. This may be an option, but this is not always the case. You can visit us online at www.geeksquad.com/schedule to schedule a time to speak with an Agent at the store about this.
QuestionDoes Best Buy still have the in home computer geek to setup laptop, tablet, and home computer?
- Answer Yes they do, the geek squad will for an extra fee.
QuestionI am going to purchase a laptop and need computer help,to transfer all info from old one to new one. Can you do this in an appointment and how much would it cost ?
- Answer If you have not already bought the laptop, make sure to ask if the old one is compatible to have the data transferred to the new one. My old desk top wasn't and messed up my new one. The Geek Squad came and resolved all of my issues that could have been prevented had I known that up front. Also, having the Total Tech Support and Webroot can save you money and a lot of headaches!
- Answer Do not know if you will have the same problem as my son, but we swapped out hard drives, (made it a terabyte) backed up everything at Best Buy (or they backed it up) and ever since have a screen that pops up that says it is an unverfied Windows product. So there must have been a problem with the license key that did not transfer from what was on their Flashdrive or CD that was from my old hard drive to the new hard drive. This is just FYI.
- Answer I think the price is around 35 or 40 dollars. Anyway that is what I paid. Worth the money though. You know it's done right, and if there are problems you can take it to the Geek Squad counter and they will fix it.
QuestionI bought a mac several years ago and now things aren't working correctly. I am sure I need an update but I have a lot of photos and don't want to take a chance of loosing them. What do I need to do?
- Answer Best thing to do would be to get an external hard drive. Copy all of the images and other files (documents, videos, etc.) to that external hard drive. Apps cannot be copied to the drive, only files. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, Geek Squad offers a data transfer service in-store if you can provide an external hard drive, or purchase one at that time.
I would recommend:
QuestionWhat is the average time frame to take old computer and transfer data to new computer? I was told I had to drop off my old one and they would transfer everything to the new one in 2 days. I don't want to be w/o computer for that long. Is that standard?
- Answer Mine was less than 2 days. I didn't have much data. I thought the service was excellent.
- Answer Yes. I did exactly that.
QuestionI bought a new Mac from Apple, but I have an old, barely functioning HP Envy computer. Can the Geek Squad migrate everything on my PC to my Mac?
- Answer I’m pretty sure they can. You need to talk to them to make sure. Call them they are very helpful.
QuestionCan I bring my Dell laptop in for repair and leave it? Do I need an appointment with a Geek for this purpose or can I just walk in anytime?
- Answer You must have an appointment for sure. Then we brought it in, gave the Geek agent all the needed info to setup the new PC and also transfer all our data from our old PC to the new one. We had it back the next day. They did a good job.