NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK DST ROUTER SETUP
Below you'll find a simple guide to setting up your NETGEAR Nighthawk router and DST, and getting online assistance from a Geek Squad Agent.
Setting up your Nighthawk router
A Geek Squad Agent will assist you in completing the setup process, but here is a list of steps you need to complete before that happens:
- Take the router out of the box
- Attach the antennas to the router by screwing them onto the threaded knobs on the back of the device
- Geek Squad recommends adjusting the middle antenna so that it is straight up and down and setting the other two at 45-degree angles
- Unplug your modem from the wall, and disconnect any cables between the modem and your old router
- You can leave your modem connected to your Internet source, whether that's a cable jack or a telephone line
- Plug in and power up your modem
- Use the included yellow Ethernet cable to connect your modem to your new router
- Plug in the router
- The lights on your router should glow white once it's ready
- If there are no lights on your router at all, make sure the power switch on the back of the unit is on
NOTE: Plug the router directly into a wall outlet. The DST won't work if your router is plugged into a power strip, surge protector or extension cord.
Setting up the DST
This router comes with a DST (dead spot terminator) to eliminate dead spots in your wireless network. If there is an area in your home where your signal is weak or doesn't reach, that's where you want to set up your DST by simply plugging it into an outlet.
Note: Like the router, the DST needs to be plugged directly into a wall socket to work. It will not work if it's plugged in to a power strip, surge protector or extension cord.
Connecting to a Geek Squad Agent
Geek Squad setup and support is included with your Nighthawk router. To take advantage of this service, follow the steps below:
Note: The process outlined in the video refers to an older version of the website. The current, updated process is outlined below.
- Click on the network icon on the bottom right corner of your screen to see a list of available wireless networks
- Connect to your new network
- Log in using the network name and password printed on the bottom of your router
- Click on the Chat with an Agent button near the top right corner of this page
- A new browser tab should open up displaying a chat page
- Click the Chat button
- Enter your e-mail address in the box provided
- There may be a brief waiting period at this point
- Once the chat begins, type: "I need to finish setup of a NETGEAR Nighthawk DST router" in the chat window
- The Agent will help you complete the setup process
If you experience any issues with your network during your chat, you can press the Geek Squad button on the top of the router and the Agent can troubleshoot your Nighthawk router remotely.